Saturday, July 23, 2011

Guest Blogger Michael Mandrake

Welcome back my friend and fellow author, Michael Mandrake, aka Rawiya, who is going to talk to us today about what it feels like to be different, to be the only one. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that, I know I can. Michael and I are in our Scottish Highland getaway, so join us there, won't you? I'm going to get us something to drink, I just spotted a handsome fellow in a tartan kilt pass by, why don't you get started? I might be a few, I'm curious to see what's not under his skirt. Right back!



Being the Only One
Michael Mandrake











Quote from the Highlander. “There can be only one!”

You remember that quote right? Where Adrian Paul’s character Duncan MacLeod says that and then he chops off the other immortal’s head? God, I loved that show and erm, I love Adrian Paul.

*swoons*

Oh yeah, my point.

How do I feel about being the only one in some instances? Well, we could take this in a negative way and say, oh well you were the oddball and maybe no one really wanted you so they left you alone or you can take it positively and say, oh that person found me unique and so different from the others, he or she had to choose me.

Again, you may ask, what does this have to do with my blogpost? Well, I’ll tell you. In the book Bound for Romance, which is the latest anthology from Sascha Illyvich through Sizzler Intoxications, E-Renaissance’s romance line, my story “Binding Justice” is the only gay tale.



Ah, you say. SO how do you feel about this?

In all honesty, I felt at first it would be an issue. I thought, maybe I’d get lost in the shuffle or get ignored and actually, that might still happen but because I do like to see the bright side of things, I thought this to be a prime opportunity.

Before I get to the rest of my point, let me just say that I’m surrounded by huge talent. Em Petrova, Clarice Clique, and Sarah Bella. I read the antho and it’s a great mix, much like the last one I did for Sascha, My Sexy Valentine. However, in there, I had Ike Rose as the other m/m writer in the collection. This time I’m the lone ranger. *grins*

If I can take a moment to give my editor props, I really love writing for him. He doesn’t bullshit me, he cares about me and my career, and I listen to everything he tells me. Still working on doing everything exactly right but…

When I first said to him—and this was recently—how I felt swallowed by being the only gay author in Bound for Romance, he said, in short, to look at it as an opportunity to showcase my work in a mainstream setting. If people want to follow Michael Mandrake, they will buy it regardless of the fact it’s in a hetero antho and well, I had to think, yeah he’s right. Then I also started thinking how I could possibly turn someone on to m/m that hasn’t read it or, as he said, get someone interested in finding out more about Michael Mandrake. I also thought this means, I’m the unique one in this bunch, not slamming my fellow authors, but it does set me apart and maybe it means my editor saw the potential in my work and needed to add me along with this awesome collection.

Now, there are the negatives that gay fiction purists will point out. The cover doesn’t denote an m/m story. I said that too so believe me, I did think about it, but again, it is the opportunity to open the eyes of someone who only reads het romance and let him or her get to know MM’s writing and hopefully seek out his growing backlist. *grins*

So the great thing about being the only one? The one that stands out like a sore thumb? The one m/m story where people will still appreciate the erotic romance with all the tension you can handle, and the one that breaks the mold of most bondage or BDSM stories. Again, Michael accentuates the flaws of his characters and this means, his Dom, Sire Jacobs isn’t experienced. Neither is sub, Jarvis Densley. Hopefully, you’ll love the tale and see why I signed the contract to be the lone gay romance tale.

I’d like to thank Julie for allowing me to be here today!

Here is where you can find me and the muses.

The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!
Michael Mandrake - http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com
Its Raining Men Blog - http://rainingmenamen.blogspot.com

Now, here is the blurb and excerpt from my story, Binding Justice


Blurb: Binding Justice, the only gay fiction romance story in the anthology, is a tale of an older man seeking assistance after losing his wife to cancer. Throughout his life, he has had the desire to be with another man, but due to his strict upbringing as well as his time in the armed forces, Sire Jacobs has suppressed those feelings. At the insistence of his gay friend Gabe, he decides to attend a party to find someone home who can bring this side out. Enter in Jarvis Densley, a twenty-three-year-old gay male, shunned by his parents and looking for someone to mentor and love him. Apparently, both have similar interests but will Sire's darker desire be what keeps them apart?



Excerpt PG
Sire felt like an old man amongst so many young people. It had been years since he’d been in a place like this. 

I’m only here in support of Gabriel.

He reminded himself of that several times. Sire was pretty sure no one coming through that door would catch his eye. By the looks of things he was spot on since the clientele looked to be exactly what he wasn’t looking for.

Did he even know what kind of man he wanted? A young, strong, and pretty one. Not a drag queen or flamer.  

It amazed him he was going over this in his mind as he downed the last of his scotch while still taking in the sights. He never thought he’d get the chance to experience another man.

Still gazing, he noticed Gabe pulling someone’s hand through a crowd. When Sire locked eyes with Gabe, his friend nodded with a smile as the young man with him was turned to the right. After a couple of seconds, Sire got a glimpse of the guy. He was dressed in leather, looking very appealing even from a distance.

Whoa

Sire sat up on his stool, angling his neck trying to get a good look as the twosome threaded through small throngs of people. Before he knew it, Gabe made his way over with a tall, lanky, gentleman with burgundy hair, brown eyes, chiseled features, and a wry smile. He looked a lot like one of the men on the flyer Gabe had earlier; almost the same outfit, his makeup perfect.

His look was just what Sire wanted.

Gabe grinned, “Sire, this is Jarvis Densley. I been talking with him a few minutes about his choice of clothing. He looks a lot like you asked about, right?”

Sire drew up his lips, stroking his beard.

Jarvis Densley, ugly name for a beautiful man.



 And I'm back! Here you go, hon, I have a drink for each of us. And I managed to find out what was under that lovely man's kilt! Ah, the things we do for research. Guess I need to create my own Highlander now, eh?

Thanks for coming with me, Michael, this has been a fab trip!  Readers, don't be shy, tell us what you think - any comments, any questions, anything at all!

We'd love to hear from you!


Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, what was under that kilt?

    LOL Thanks for having me here darlin!

    :D

    I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't remember, try listening to the song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0agmxvKgQ

    Thanks for coming! You know you're welcome any time, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the excerpt! Congratulations on your 'only one' story in the anthology! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx again Julie and thanks Carol. I love the story! :D

    ReplyDelete