Thursday, April 10, 2014

Silk and Scorn Review

Silk and Scorn                                     
Author: Cassandra Dean
Publisher: Decadent Publishing        
American release date: February 16, 2014
Format/Genre/Length: EBook/Regency Romance/60pages
Publisher/Industry Age Rating: NR
Overall Personal Rating: ★★★★

In a time when arranged marriages are the norm, two young people, Sarah Wetherall and Arthur Davenport, are forced into a distasteful correspondence not of their choosing. Trading quips and barbs, they suffer with being forced to write one another until Sarah finds relief through marriage to another man, and their correspondence blessedly comes to an end.

But Fate has more in store for these two...

Fast forward eleven years. Sarah’s husband is now deceased, and his family is disputing the widow’s rights to his estate. The solicitor she turns to in her time of need is none other than Arthur Davenport. It’s just business, surely, on both their parts, and sheer necessity, as Arthur helps her defend her late husband’s will.  Or is it?

Silk and Scorn is a Regency novella, and it is actually second in a series, but I had no problem in reading it as a standalone. Brought together by necessity, and with the memory of their shared dislike of one another uppermost in their minds, it’s hard for Sarah and Arthur not to snipe at one another. But as this is a romance, the inevitable happens...

Watching them shed their bad first impressions and actually get to know each other is what this story is about. They learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and come to appreciate the actual person each has become, not the child that was.

My only complaint is its length. I think this could have been the beginning to a very lovely novel, and I would have enjoyed seeing more of them. As it is, it’s a short, sweet read, one I do recommend. Having read this one, I’d like to see more of what this author can do.



6 comments:

  1. Hi peeps,
    Welcome to SILK & SCORN’s book tour! First off, thank you to Julie for having me on her blog and I hope you enjoy learning about me, SILK & SCORN and of course entering the giveaway.

    Fun fact: I live in Australia so I might not be around much as I’m probably a) asleep or b) at work, but I will check in and answer your questions and comments.

    Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the tour!
    REPLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silk and Scorn sounds like an engrossing read~ thanks for sharing.

    ilookfamous at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Elise-Maria! I hope you enjoy the rest of the tour

      Delete
  3. I love it when characters that do not get along at all are forced together.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete