Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #85 (18.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

A new twist in the confusing saga has now developed. Namely the presence of a small stuffed gator meant for Vinnie! Could this mean what it appears to mean? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan! Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #85 (18.1)

I know it’s silly to be taken aback by something so harmless, but the memories that tiny gator invoked…. Well, let’s say they weren’t pleasant.

“Vinnie…Vinnie…”

Ethan’s concerned voice drew me back to the present. He was stroking my cheek, and the expression in his beautiful blue eyes was one of alarm.

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to space out like that.” I gave him a weak smile, but I knew he understood why I was rather upset. Not to mention this suddenly pointed the grave finger of suspicion toward someone I’d rather forget entirely, but he was making that difficult.

Who else could have sent such a chilling message but Chip, aka the Mangler? The million dollar question was—what did Chip have to do with anything?

“Isn’t that so cute?” St. Clair kept babbling on while my blood turned to ice. “And wasn’t that very thoughtful of him to send it to you? Although, to be honest, I’m not sure why he bothered. Come to think of it, he did seem rather obsessed with you. Even though you aren’t in the industry or anything. I kept telling him you’re no one important, but he just wouldn’t listen.”

My stomach churned at her words even as the truth slapped me in the face. But how? Why? He was safely locked away, behind bars awaiting trial. We’d ascertained that oursleves. Was this Billy Faulkner an accomplice of his? A henchman on the outside, committed to assist the Mangler in his dirty deeds?

Would I never be free of the man?

I couldn’t refrain from shuddering. Ethan helped me to my feet, anchoring me with his arm about my waist. “Miss St. Clair, you’ve been very helpful,” he said. Troy and Brendan had risen too, I noticed. As we started to walk away, Ethan paused and turned back.

“Oh, just ne more question, if you don’t mind. How did that stuffed animal arrive?”

The small gator still sat on her hand, as neither one of us had attempted to claim it. I mean, why would we?

“In the mail. How else, silly?” She cackled, as if she found herself amusing. I’m pretty sure no one else did.

Troy and Brendan made their good-byes as Ethan ushered me out of the building, back to our car.  I was doing my best not to panic, but failing at that pretty much. I kept remembering how St. Clair was able to escape her environs simply by using a double. Could Chip have done the same? Was he out there even now, stalking me…hunting me…waiting his opportunity to pounce? Bil rose in my throat that I had to force back down.

“What if it’s him? What if he’s out?” I asked, somewhere between a whimper and a whisper.

Ethan wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. “I don’t see how, but that’s something we can check on.

Troy and Brendan caught up with us then. To my dismay, I noticed Troy gingerly held the little gator. Why?

He answered my unspoken question before holding it out toward Ethan. “I just thought maybe there’s something on it. You know, like DNA or fingerprints or something?”

Who was the law enforcement officer here? I should have thought of that, but in my defense, I was a bit busy freaking out.

“Good thinking,” Ethan said. “Hang on a second.” He kissed me tenderly before he released me and opened the passenger door. Opening the glove compartment, he rummaged around for a second before coming out with a plastic bag. “I remember seeing this,” he explained as he carefully bagged the evidence. Evidence of what I wasn’t sure, but it was something.

Once he’d secured that, he pulled out his phone. I heard him talking to Anderson briefly before he hung up. “We’re going to find out if that is really him down in Florida, or an imposter.”

Would this nightmare never end?

 to be continued

Go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment