Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #83 (17.3)

  Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

The boys have arrived at the rather luxurious mental health facility where a certain actress is being held in lieu of going to jail. Will they be able to get any information out of her? Or are they wasting their time? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #83 (17.3)

The solarium was actually not difficult to find. Sunny and inviting, it seemed to be the destination of choice for a number of the inmates and their visitors. Comfortable, pricey-looking furniture placed in strategic locations seemed to scream rest and relaxation. No troubles here, only peace and harmony. Maybe that’s why there wasn’t a red or orange in sight, just blues and greens. While in the background piano music played softly.

“I see them.” Ethan nudged me and discreetly pointed to an area in the corner. Then I spotted them. Troy and Brendan sat together on a loveseat while you-know-who was seated on an adjoining sofa, poised on the edge of the cushions as she gave them her undivided attention. There was no sign of her cohort in crime—what was her name? Oh yeah, Helen.  I imagined she didn’t have the financial means to afford such a place as this. Or maybe her lawyer hadn’t been able to swing it on the government dime.

Well, here goes nothing.

Ethan took my hand as we made our way over to the trio. St. Clair glanced our way, but she didn’t give us the startled expression I was expecting. I guess Troy had paved the way for our arrival. Probably just as well. She didn’t even give Ethan her usual sappy smile. Guess because she wasn’t showing off for her director ex any more. And I guessed she wasn’t in the mood to antagonize me right then. Probably too happy to have her buddy with her.

“Well, well, look what the cat dragged in,” were her first words.

I might have to rethink that whole not antagonizing me thing. Assuming the words were aimed at me. Maybe it was both of us.

“Carrie,” Troy chided her.

“Sorry. Old habits die hard.” She giggled. A rather incongruous sound, all in all, and considering her current circumstances. But then again she had been in a place like this for a while now. Should be familiar to her.

Hmmm, where to sit? I wasn’t about to place either Ethan or myself in any closer proximity to the witch than we had to. At the same time, we did need to get information from her. Luckily, Troy, ever the gentleman, realized our predicament.

He rose to his feet in greeting as we approached, saying, ”Brendan and I call dibs on sitting by Carrie.” He winked at us surreptitiously as we took their places on the loveseat and they settled next to the actress on the couch.

Whew, crisis averted.

“How are you boys doing?” St. Clair greeted us. She wore might have been a designer gown, although where she came up with one of those on such notice, I couldn’t say. It was covered in a jewel-studded floral pattern that looked a lot like paisley. Tacky was the word that came to my mind. “I see Ethan hasn’t given you the big heave-ho yet.”

That barb was aimed directly at me, naturally. Still her same old charming self. Well, two can play that game. Without hesitation, I shot back, “No he hasn’t,” even as I held up my hand to display my engagement ring. “Speaking of which, how is Gordon Daimler?”

My arrow hit its mark. Score one for Vinnie. Look, she had it coming.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment