Saturday, August 12, 2023

Saturday is Horror Day # 126 - Kill Bill: Vol 1, Men

 Kill Bill: Vol 1


Weddings are generally joyous and happy events in a person's life. But sadly that is not always the case. A bride (Uma Thurman) awakens from a four-year coma to discover her world as she knew it no longer exists, ripped away by person or persons unknown. She is determined to have her revenge. But first things first...where is Bill?








I've heard about this movie for a long time and finally got around to watching it. Uma Thurman is the 


distraught bride who intends to put an end to those who caused her such pain, including the death of her unborn child. She systematically hunts them all down, asking everyone the same question - where is Bill? The fight scenes are decent, if bloody. But then it is a Tarantino film, so that's to be expected. I also expected more answers than I got. Such as where is Bill? I guess that's why they made a second film. Guess I'll have to watch that to find out.


This film does contain some familiar faces, such as Daryl Hannah and Lucy Liu. I don't think it's as great as the hype makes it out to be, but it was worth watching. I'll hold further judgement until I see the second part. I'll give this film 4 Stars.

Men


Harper (Jessie Buckley) is distraught over the death of her husband James (Paapa Essiedu) and decides to retreat to the country to soothe her aching soul and find some sort of peace.  Unsure of whether his death was a suicide or an accident, she blames herself. The more she tries to forget, the more she remembers. She finds the men in this remote village to be...well, off. Even the parish priest seems to blame her for what happened to James, and then there is a insufferable child who speaks to her as no child should.






The more she explores her beautiful surroundings, the more troubled she becomes. Is there something 


sinister here? Why do all these men resemble one another so much? Many questions, but few answers. And then there is the naked man (Rory Kinnear) who just appeared outside her window one day, and haunts her. She can't seem to get anyone to help her! Maybe coming out here wasn't such a great idea after all!



I'm not gonna lie, I was intrigued by the trailer and excited to watch this film. It doesn't hurt that I am a huge fan of Rory Kinnear. The setting and photography was lush, I really enjoyed it. The acting was top notch, as was the direction. But the story...oh, the story. Where I was turned off was when it turned from simple horror story to something else entirely. Metaphorical, maybe? As in not everything you're seeing is real, it's all part of her grief.  Yeah, not what I wanted or expected. And the ending...oh the ending. It's...beyond words. See for yourself and see what you make of it. I'll just give this film 3 Stars and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment