Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #55 (11.5) by Julie Lynn Hayes

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

The fun continues at the Thorne residence! See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Then go visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #55 (11.5)

“That sounds like fun,” Maureen said. “We wouldn’t miss seeing our boys’ film debut for the world.”

My heart warmed when Ethan’s mother included me in such a way. And then I realized she’d actually spoken for her husband as well, at least as far as accepting Troy’s generous invitation. Maybe things had changed for the better here, at least as far as they were concerned. Certainly not their oldest son.

More small talk was made, but it was getting late. I had a feeling little Alex was not one for sleeping in. On the other hand, I didn’t see Sarah cutting short this chance to be close to her idol any sooner than she had to.

But that also brought up the question of Troy and Brendan. Ethan and I exchanged glances and then looked toward our friends, who were doing the same. We all four rose at the same time.

“We’re going to stretch our legs, be back in a minute,” Ethan explained for his parents’ benefit. For a moment, I thought Sarah might join us, but she cast a quick glance up, as if listening for something, and then didn’t move. Probably making sure she could hear Alex if he needed something. She’s such a good mother.

We all trooped out onto the porch, taking up paired positions on the steps.

“Now that I have you all gathered here, I shall unmask the murderer!” Troy announced melodramatically. His words produced a laugh from all of us, but then we instantly sobered as we realized we didn’t really know what was going on here.

“I still don’t understand why someone told you to come here,” Ethan confessed. “But most of all, how did anyone know about my parents’ house? That has me more than a little worried.”

“Are you sure that nutjob is still safely put away?” I asked. I know I’d already asked him that, but who else would even connect us? Although that didn’t explain how she found out this address. But people with money have their ways.

“I’m sure,” Troy solemnly assured us.

“What about that Florida guy,” Brendan suggested. “You know, the Mangler.”

“I thought maybe he was threatening Vinnie,” Ethan admitted. “I even wondered if maybe he did have some kind of confederate who’s still on the outside. But even if he did, he wouldn’t know about us being friends with you guys. And he wouldn’t know about Uncle Benny.”

Absolutely nothing was making sense at this moment.

“I’m worried about you two,” Troy said. “That’s why we hightailed it down here. I’m glad you’re okay, yet I can’t help but feel something isn’t right, that you’re in some kind of danger.”

I could understand his feelings, since I happened to share those same concerns.

“How about if Bren and I go to a motel and come back tomorrow to make sure everything’s okay? I don’t want to impose on your mother or anything. How about I take us all about to breakfast?”

“I know someone who won’t complain about that,” I said, producing more laughter.

“Then I’ll tender an offer immediately,” Troy said. “Then we can get out of your hair. You’ll call us if anything happens, right?”

“You know we will,” Ethan replied and I nodded my agreement.

“Want us to take Benny with us?” Brendan asked.

“He should be okay with us,” Ethan said. “But I’ll ask my mom, just to be sure.”

As it turned out, Maureen said our pup was welcome, and we quickly assured her he was very housebroken, and we would make sure to walk him regularly. Of course, Sarah was disappointed to learn that Troy was leaving for the night, but her sorrow turned to excitement at the prospect of seeing him the next day and breaking bread with him.

This seemed to be a signal for the evening to conclude. Troy and Brendan said their good nights and headed out. Reverend Thorne announced his intention of retiring. I couldn’t help but notice the expectant glance he gave his wife.

“Good idea, it’s getting late,” she said, stifling a yawn.

Sarah yawned as well. “Sounds good,” she said. “I bet little man will be up early so he can play with puppy again.”

Final good nights were said and they all headed upstairs.

That just left the boys club, aka Ethan, Benny, Joey and me. Oh joy.

 to be continued

Now go visit the other Briefers and see what's up!

Cia Nordwell

 


No comments:

Post a Comment