Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #52 (11.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

After making a necessary excursion to the store for needed supplies, Vinnie and Ethan return to the Thorne residence to find... Troy and Brendan and Benny the pup! What is going on here? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #52 (11.2)

Has a night ever been so long?

At least Ethan had the presence of mind to remember our purchases that were sitting in the trunk of our rental car. I’d been too put off by the unexpected appearance of our friends to remember them.  We put Benny on his leash for convenience sake and divided the lot among the four of us and proceeded to the house. Ethan carefully balanced everything on one arm so he could open the front door and admit the rest of us.

Maureen and Uncle Benny were still sitting in the living room as we entered the hallway. They immediately rose when they saw us. “Thank you so much,” Maureen said, “for getting everything. How much do I—” Her words cut off abruptly, probably at the sight of our two additional guests. I couldn’t exactly blame her for being surprised.

“Mom, sorry to spring this on you,” Ethan said apologetically, but his mother wasn’t having any of that as she turned toward the newcomers and I saw all over again where Ethan’s manners came from.

“Nonsense. Any friend of yours is most welcome in our home. I’m Ethan’s mother, Maureen Thorne, and I am very happy to meet you.”

The equally smooth and gracious Troy quickly shifted his own bags in order to take her extended and make a quick bow over it. “Thank you so much, ma’am. My name is Troy and this is Brendan.” He nodded to indicate his better half.

“Very pleased to meet you, ma’am,” Brendan quickly chimed in.

Maureen seemed pleasantly flustered by their attentions, before indicating Ethan’s uncle beside her.

“Benjamin Thorne,” he supplied with a smile.

 Brendan was the first to make the connection. “Oh, you must be Uncle Benny, like the puppy!” As if to acknowledge he’d been named for this man, Benny was hovering at Uncle Benny’s feet, despite being anchored by the leash in my hand.

Everyone laughed as Uncle Benny stooped to pick up the miscreant pup. “So Ethan thinks you look like me, does he?” Benny barked, as if in affirmation.

Ethan must have realized we were standing there holding a load of perishables as well as the items Sarah had requested. “We should get these into the kitchen,” he said.

Maureen tried to pick up the items at Troy’s feet, but he would have none of it. “No, ma’am, we can handle this.” He hefted them himself and turned toward Ethan with a grin. “Lead on, MacDuff.” He followed Ethan down the hall toward the kitchen, trailed by Brendan and myself. I couldn’t help but mischievously, “Behave, or I might just have to mention you know what.”

Troy set his bags onto the kitchen table before giving me an inquisitive glance. “No, what?”

“You know. The Scottish play.” I raised my eyebrows at him for added emphasis. Ethan just shook his head, clearly used to my antics by now.

“Oh, that,” Troy said with equal exaggeration. “Well, my dear Vinnie, I am not in the theater, I’m a movie star, if you’ll recall, so you threatening to say Macbeth isn’t about to put my knickers in a twist. ‘Fraid you’ll have to do better than that.”

“I’ll have to work on that then,” I promised him with a grin.

Maureen bustled into the kitchen, and we helped her to put everything in its proper place, except for Sarah’s items. “I’m so sorry you missed dinner,” Ethan’s mother was saying. “But we have some apple pie still, with a little ice cream or some whipped cream. I made plenty.”

Troy and Brendan exchanged glances. I suspected the idea of homemade food sounded as good to them as it would to anyone in their right minds.

“I don’t want to put you,” Troy began, but Maureen saw right through his protests.

“Ethan, why don’t you all go sit in the living room and I’ll bring it right out.”

“Sounds good, Mom,” Ethan said, before adding to Troy, “No sense in arguing once she has her mind made up.”

We were headed back down the hall when I heard steps from upstairs and then Sarah’s hushed voice.

“Guys, try and keep it down, okay? I just got Alex down for the night and—” Her words ended abruptly, to my alarm. But then I realized she had come down the stairs far enough to get a glimpse of the four of us headed toward the living room. Well, one person in particular.

Her mouth flew open so wide she looked like she was about to swallow something whole…or someone. Her cheeks turned bright red and she had the distinct look of a deer in headlights. When she managed to find her voice at last, she blurted out. “Oh. My. God. Troy McGarrett.”

Didn’t I call it?

to be continued

Now see what the other Briefers have been up to!


 
Cia Nordwell

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment