Saturday, December 10, 2022

Saturday is Horror Day #91 - Funny Games

 Funny Games


Imagine if you will an all-American family - mother, father, and son - going to visit their vacation home for some rest and relaxation. Spend some time boating, visiting with neighbors. This is the life of Ann (Naomi Watts) and George (Tim Roth) and their son Georgie (Devon Gearhart).  But the all-American dream becomes an all-American nightmare when two preppy-looking young men, Paul (Michael Pitt) and Peter (Brady Corbet) come into their lives.







It begins with a simple request for four eggs by one of the young men, who claims to need it for the next door neighbor, whom he is visiting. But this ordinary request quickly becomes a game, and the only people who are amused are Paul and Peter. They take the family hostage and announce the game - see who will live to see the following day.


This movie was well written and well executed, but I have to warn you, it is brutal and hard to watch. I found myself wondering why these adults didn't just slap the shit out of those two punks and have done with them. Or why they ever let the situation escalate the way it did. But perhaps you had to be there. And I have honestly never been in such a situation, nor do I want to be. Great performances by Watts and Roth. I know this film will stick with me for some time. I'll give it 4 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment