Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #54 (11.4)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Troy and Brendan have just arrived at Ethan's family's home and just as everyone is settled, in comes the minister. What will he have to say? See what is happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #54 (11.4)

Benny began to rise, no doubt with the intention of vacating his brother-in-law’s usual seat, but the minister waved him back down and made himself comfortable in the other armchair, closer to us. I know, shocking, right? And totally unexpected. Introductions were made, hands shaken, and we were just settling in… for what, I don’t know, as the sudden closing of the front door reminded me there was actually someone missing from this scenario. I confess I had completely forgotten about Joe Jr., but who could really blame me?

His sullen face soon appeared in the doorway as he glanced suspiciously at all of us. Like there was some kind of conspiracy going on, and he was the target. I had a feeling it was on the tip of his tongue to ask something like who the hell is this? But what little common sense he possessed—and the presence of his father, no doubt—gave him pause. He probably wanted to run, but realized there was nowhere to go other than back outside. But his father’s words quickly ended that avenue of escape.

“Come in, Joe, and meet our guests,” Joseph said in a tone that clearly indicated he would tolerate no nonsense from his oldest child.

Fresh introductions were made, but Joey didn’t seem singularly impressed. When he tried to complain that there were no seats to be had, his sister spoke up.

“There’s plenty of room on the floor.”

No arguing with that.

Joe Jr claimed a spot as far from everyone else as he could get, but that wasn’t saying much when there were so many of us. I couldn’t help but be amused at his antics, and I could see Ethan found him funny too. Not that we would ever say anything. At least not in front of everyone. In private was an entirely different matter. Although when we would have that private time was also a matter of conjecture. Certainly not that night.

“So, Troy, are you shooting something down here?” Sarah asked, her voice almost dripping with excitement. “Or maybe scouting out a location?”

Ever the gentleman, Troy replied, “They wouldn’t send me to do that. Not my area of expertise, I’m afraid.”

“You’re too modest,” Brendan spoke up, albeit softly. “You’re good at anything you choose to do.”

How cute was that? They were just adorable. I know Sarah thought so too, as I heard her squee quietly.

“Are you still working on that football film?” Ethan asked, which question produced a wince from yours truly. I couldn’t help but remember the little scenario related to that film that ended up with me being injured (entirely my fault) and Ethan inadvertently ending up in DC in the mist of a hostage crisis.

“It’s going into post-production,” Troy said. “Might have to re-shoot a scene or two, or do some dubs, but otherwise I’m done.”

“You ever going to tell me the ending?” I teased him with a playful grin. Brandon snickered, while Troy just shook his head.

“Vinny, you are incorrigible, aren’t you? And I think you know better than that. You’ll have to see for yourself.”

“What about that Civil War film?” Sarah asked. “I’ve been wanting to see that for some time. What’s the name? Oh yeah, Sweet Surrender. When’s that coming out?”

For a moment, I couldn’t place the title. And then I remembered. That stupid film with that stupid actress, she who doesn’t serve to be named. My arch nemesis. I couldn’t contain my scowl, but I bit my tongue and said nothing.

Ethan took my hand in his and squeezed tightly. He knew how upset I became at the mere mention of the woman.

“In the fall,” Troy replied. “I don’t know the exact date. I would love to have you all as my guests at the premiere.”

Oh goody. My enthusiasm knew no bounds. Of course Sarah, on the other hand, was extremely ecstatic. Especially when he added, “I bet you you won’t be able to find either Ethan or Vinnie in the film.”

“Say what?” Sarah turned startled eyes toward us. My scowl only deepened. “Are you telling me they’re both in your film?” Her question was aimed at Troy, of course, despite the death glare she was throwing our way.

“Oh yes, they both have small parts. I think Vinnie got a couple of scenes. Once as a soldier and once as a Southern belle during the reel scene.”

Oh Lord. I felt heat climb up my cheeks. Not that Ethan’s family hadn’t seen me in a dress, as they most certainly had. But not in hoop skirts. And certainly not on the big screen.

“I wouldn’t miss seeing that for the world,” Sarah said with what I felt was a malicious grin…or I could be reading into it.

Did Joe Jr. actually snicker?

to be continued

Go see what the other Briefers are doing!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment