Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #58 (12.3)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

As this long day finally draws to a close for our heroes, one has to wonder what is on the horizon? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #58 (12.3)

Of course, telling the tale of our involvement with Sweet Surrender just had to involve the story of how we first met a certain evil actress and why I hated her so much. To Ethan’s credit, he kept that to a minimum. To be fair, it’s not like he was ever interested in her or anything. Ever since I’ve known him, he’s only had eyes for me.  Also, her goal was primarily to win back her ex, the director. See how well that worked out.

“Do you really think she might be responsible for what’s going on?” Benny directed his question primarily to me, since Ethan hadn’t been nearly as vocal about that as I had been. “What about that Florida Mangler guy?”

He made a good point. The trouble with that theory was Chip was securely incarcerated, awaiting trial for what he’d done. No chance of bail. Her, on the other hand… well, despite Troy’s insistence that she never went out, I still had to wonder if maybe she kept things hidden from him.

“Maybe it’s neither one,” Benny continued. “Maybe another player has entered the scene.”

 “That new player would have to know a lot about us,” Ethan said. “An awful lot.”

And wasn’t that a disturbing thought in and of itself?

“And you, and Troy and Brendan,” Ethan continued. “Besides, what motive would such a person have?”

What motive, indeed?

On that note, we decided to call it a night. We gave Benny—the little one, not the big one—a last chance to do any business he might have before we tiptoed back into the house, careful not to disturb the sleeping inhabitants. When we entered the living room, I heard something that sounded like a freight train. What the hell? It took me a minute to realize it was the sound of snoring.

Oh great, Ethan’s brother snores.

Couldn’t be helped. Ethan offered an apologetic shrug as we laid down together on the floor, as far from Joey as we could get. Benny curled up at our feet. I snuggled into Ethan’s embrace and tried to ignore the noise from the other side of the room. Before long, I fell asleep and didn’t stir until morning.

I awoke to delighted cries of “Puppy!” from Alex, who’d been asleep before Troy and Brendan had arrived the night before and was thus unaware of the pup’s arrival.

“Shh, Alex.” Sarah tried to quiet him, but it was too late as we were all awake now. I didn’t really mind. The floor wasn’t exactly comfortable, and I was glad to stretch my muscles. I could hear the bones pop as I sat up.

“Hey Sis,” Ethan greeted her.

“Sorry guys,” Sarah apologized, but we all told her not to worry. Well, Joey didn’t. Primarily because he wasn’t there. Maybe he was skulking outside again? That thought was quickly dispelled when we heard the minister loudly tell his older son not to sleep in his study again. Guess he wandered in there when we were asleep. His bad.

Ethan and I took advantage of Sarah being downstairs to use her room to change our cloths, while Benny opted for the bathroom. I felt much better as we rejoined them.

Sarah seemed to be in a very good mood, all things considered. I was about to ask her if she’d slept well, when the doorbell rang and I suddenly realized why she was so chipper. A certain dreamboat movie star was about to take her… well, all of us… out for breakfast. As we admitted Troy and Brendan, I couldn’t help but wonder if we weren’t making ourselves an even bigger target.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment