Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #57 (12.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

As the others go off to sleep, Vinnie and Ethan and Uncle Benny decide to do a perimeter check, just to make sure everything is safe and secure. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #57 (12.2)

The temperature had dropped a little as the three of us filed down the porch stairs, careful to be quiet in deference to those sleeping inside.

“Let’s go this way.” Ethan nodded toward one side of the house, and we followed his head, eyeing our surroundings very carefully. I knew agents were watching our every movements. Sure enough, Anderson’s ring tone sounded from Ethan’s phone. He quickly answered and explained what we were doing and then hung up. Good to know someone was concerned enough to find out if everything was kosher.

“I see you’ve been a good influence on Joe,” Benny commented. “The old Joe would have thrown me out of his house as soon as look at me.”

“He has softened a little,” Ethan admitted. He stopped to face his uncle. “I think the real credit goes to Vinnie, though, for not putting up with his nonsense and having the nerve to tell him the truth.”

I felt my cheeks warm as Benny reached out his hand and took mine in his. “Thank you, Vinnie. For myself and for my sister. I know things have gotten much better for her too, and she isn’t putting up with his shit anymore either.”

“That’s for sure.” Ethan chuckled and we followed suit. Our laughter was cut short by a sharp snap, such as the sound of a breaking twig. We froze in place. I tried to gauge which way the sound had come from, searching for the telltale gleam of a rifle scope. But the next moment, something small and furry hared across the yard and we relaxed, laughing nervously.

We made our careful way around the outside of the house, keeping to the shadows as much as possible. The only sounds were typical nighttime noises, such as a faraway train whistle, distant traffic, and an occasional bird call. I was in no hurry to go back inside, and I got the impression neither were Ethan and Benny. Maybe if we gave him enough time, Joey would be asleep before we did, and we wouldn’t have to deal with his sorry ass.

Once we made a complete circuit of the house and found nothing amiss, we took seats on the porch steps. Well, Ethan and I did. Benny chose to stand, leaning against the stair rail.

“So, you guys are actually in a movie? With Troy McGarrett?” He sounded more than a little amused. I couldn’t blame him. We were undercover agents, not Hollywood stars. I would find the situation amusing myself if I didn’t know the circumstances under which our stint as actors occurred. “I bet there’s a heck of a story there.”

Ethan reached for my hand and squeezed it as I bit back the groan that tried to escape me. The only good thing that came out of that story was our meeting and becoming friends with Troy. “Fine.” I sighed dramatically, well aware of my diva-ish behavior. Not that I really thought he needed my permission to tell our story.

Before Ethan had a change to begin the tale, though, I thought I heard a scratching from the front door, followed by a faint yip. I knew right away who that was. I hurriedly got up from the steps and hastened to the front door. Opening it softly, I released our puppy, who was very happy to see me. I bent down and lifted him into my arms, then resumed my seat on the steps beside Ethan.

“Think he needs to go?” Ethan asked.

Duh, I should have realized that. I kissed his little head and set him down. He headed straight down the steps to the nearest flower bed, did his business and ran straight back to me. I guess that answered that question. Ethan reached over and ruffled Benny’s fur. He yapped his appreciation as he settled comfortably against me.

If I thought that interruption would interrupt our tale, I was sadly mistaken.

to be continued

Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's new!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment