Saturday, January 28, 2023

Saturday is Horror Day #98 - The Menu

 The Menu


Tyler (Nicholas Hoult) invites Margot (Anya Taylor-Joy) to dine at a very exclusive restaurant on a small island. This restaurant is so exclusive that reservations are hard to git, and only so many people can dine that at a time. Margot considers herself lucky... until she learns that she wasn't even Tyler's first choice for dinner companion and her name isn't even on the guest list. Well, she's there now, might as well make the best of it, even if the other diners seem rather hoity-toity to her.





Granted, Tyler and the other diners seem to know a lot more about fine dining than Margot does, and about the chef who is preparing this sumptuous repast for their delight, Chef Slowik (Ralph Fiennes). The Chef's staff is extremely devoted and very well-trained, including Elsa (Hong Chau), who acts as hostess to the guests.  However, as the meal progresses and the night advances, all is not as it appears to be. And there seems to be some uncertainty as to whether anyone will make it out of there alive...


I've been wanting to see this movie after I watched the first trailer, and I was not disappointed. At first I thought it was a dark comedy, but don't be fooled - this is indeed horror. I thought it was well-written, with a good cast, including John Leguizamo, whom I love. Definitely some familiar faces here. This film pokes fun at the so-called gourmands who think fine dining has to include foams and fancy swoops across the plate, etc. I'll probably see something I missed the next time I watch. I left the film being rather satisfied indeed. I will give it 4.5 Stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment