Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #37 (7.5)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Ethan's twin's comment about Roanoke has the boys wondering if she intends to move there. See what they think about that idea in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #37 (7.5)

“Roanoke is very nice,” Ethan agreed. “Vinnie and I like it there, don’t we, Vinnie?”

“Very much.” I quickly added my enthusiastic endorsement to his statement. “I think I like it even better than Richmond.” While I did enjoy living in Richmond with Ethan, Roanoke had come to feel more like home. Maybe because we lived in an actual house, and we had Benny, and we’d made some real friends, both on the police force and outside of it. While some of our other assignments had taken us to different locations around the country, these been short-term stays for the most part. Richmond and Roanoke were the only two cities where we’d spent any amount of serious time. I didn’t count the Mangler case, although we were there for a while, because we were constantly moving from place to place in pursuit of the twisted killer and never stayed very long in one spot. Honestly, if I had any say-so in the matter, I’d be more than happy to keep Florida in my rearview mirror. No offense to the residents of the state, but too many unhappy memories stemmed from being there.

“But,” Ethan continued. “You have to remember something, too, Sis.”

“What do you mean?” She gave him a baffled look.

“They can move us anytime they want. Not that I’m saying they will or anything. But if you’re considering moving up there to be closer to us, which I would be all for, you just have to keep that in mind. ”

“Oh absolutely.” Sarah’s face relaxed at Ethan’s words. “I’m not saying I plan to move there, just thinking how nice it would be to live closer to you guys. I don’t want to go back to Atlanta, to be honest, and I really don’t want to be in Imperial much longer. I love Mercy and all, but I’m sure she and her wife would appreciate having their privacy back.” She gave a little laugh. “If my thinking is out of line, or if I’m overstepping any boundaries, just tell me so—”

Without thinking, I interjected, “I think having you closer would be great!” I knew how much Ethan missed his twin and his nephew, and I couldn’t help but think he would love seeing them more. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything, though, as it really wasn’t my place. I almost apologized for butting in until I saw Ethan’s beautiful eyes fixed on me, and his expression was so tender and loving that I knew he appreciated what I’d said. And Sarah was positively beaming.

“Vinnie, you’re so sweet, thank you!”

Ethan reached over and kissed me, and my heart swelled. If this was family, I was all for it. “He is the sweetest,” Ethan agreed, his eyes locked on mine.

“I’d have to find a job, of course. And a place to live. Daycare for Alex…”

I could read the question in Ethan’s eyes without his having to say a word, and I simply nodded my agreement. The radiant smile I received in return was almost blinding.

“You can stay with us,” Ethan offered.

“Oh, I don’t want to put you out,” Sarah protested.

Ethan turned his head and I could just imagine the look he was giving her without having to see it. She immediately backpedaled.

“Well, I mean, after everything… and you and Vinnie just got engaged. And you know… stuff.” Obviously she’d run out of legitimate reasons and was now grasping at proverbial straws.

“You are more than welcome to stay with us,” Ethan said firmly, in that no-nonsense voice I loved so much. “If you want to move to Roanoke, we’ll be thrilled to have you there. Maybe talk it over with Mom and Dad, see what they think.”

I believe he deliberately avoided mention of the baby daddy. Somehow I doubted she was in any frame of mind to consider his wishes, especially as he’d been out of the picture for so long.

“I might just have to consider Roanoke myself,” Benny said. “Especially if my favorite niece and nephew live there.” He gave us a quick wink. Hmmm, tell me you don’t like Joe Junior without telling me you don’t like Joe Junior.

Ethan looked so happy, I thought he might burst into tears. And to think that just a few short months ago, none of this would have been possible. But sometimes bad things lead to happy endings. Ethan’s mother’s stroke had ended up with Ethan bursting out of the closet, Uncle Benny’s brush with his ex had led to an opportunity for a new beginning, and the painful return of Sarah’s ex seemed to be leading to exciting new horizons for her and Alex. Win-win situation, I’d say.

Just then my phone unexpectedly rang. I wondered who that could be as I reached into my pocket. I knew that wasn’t Anderson’s ring tone, nor was it Troy’s or Brendan’s. Ethan was right here with me, so obviously not him. Who else did I know who might call me? The caller ID gave no clue. I didn’t recognize the number. Probably a telemarketer.

Before I could even get out a hello, a muffled voice said, “Listen to me very carefully. I am going to say this only once…”

What the fuck?

 to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!


 Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment