Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #36 (7.4)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

For such a short trip, this one feels like it's taking forever! The only benefit is spending time with Ethan's family. But Vinnie is still not sure they're not being stalked. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan! Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #36 (7.4)

We sat and rocked for a minute or two, each man lost in his own thoughts. I was trying to convince myself that Chip was not behind all our misfortunes and was halfway succeeding, when I felt Ethan’s hand on my knee. He’d slid his rocking chair next to mine, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t welcome the comfort of his touch. He didn’t say anything, but I understood everything he meant to convey through his warmth, and I appreciated that.

“So, Benny, have you given any thought about what you’re going to do once all of this is over?” Ethan asked his uncle. Benny didn’t answer right away. I glanced up to find him thoughtfully stroking his beard.

“I’ve thought of little else, to be honest,” he replied. “Before I ran into Connor, I was just basically wandering around, not putting down roots. Seeing the country, so to speak. But that shit gets old, trust me. And it’s a lonely life too.”

My heart went out to the man—he sounded so lost. When Ethan squeezed my hand, I knew he felt much the same way, which only served to reinforce how lucky we were to have each other.

“What’s your degree in?” I asked, hoping to find happier ground.

“Never actually got one,” Benny admitted with a rueful shake of his head. “Went to prison before I graduated. Not that it matters. My major back then was art history.” He snorted. “Wonder what I intended to do with that. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and I guess I had visions of curating the Met or something, but in all reality that degree and fifty cents will just barely get you a cup of coffee. And a not very good one at that.”

That was an incredibly honest observation.

“Luckily, I got the chance to do some studying while I was on the inside. I got smart and signed up for a computer program. Learned enough to keep me going when I got out, along with assorted odd jobs I picked up, depending on where I ended up at any given time. If I thought I could, I’d be more than happy to settle down and actually get a computer degree and do something worthwhile with my life.”

“So why can’t you?”

Ethan’s direct question took me by surprise. He was usually the polite one, while I was considered the mannerless lout in our relationship. But he had said just what I was thinking, before I could say it.

Benny shrugged, but made no immediate reply. A moment passed before he responded. “Maybe it’s not so much if I can do it or not, it’s just that I haven’t decided where I might want to put down roots, you know? I guess that would make a difference in what I decide to do. ”

Just then, Alex came charging around the corner with a happy whoop and a huge grin. He made a beeline for Benny, who pulled the child up onto his lap without hesitation. I glanced around nervously, but my fears were quickly allayed when Sarah herself came into view.

“Hey, I told you not to run,” she scolded her son, but she didn’t really sound angry. Probably an automatic Mom response. “Sorry, Uncle Benny,” she apologized, reaching for Alex, but Benny shook his head.

“He’s good here, it’s okay.”

Sarah bent down and kissed the top of Benny’s head, then Alex’s, before taking another rocking chair. She stretched out her legs with a loud sigh of satisfaction. “I’m not gonna argue.” She laughed.

“So, did I hear you say something about putting down roots?”  Turning serious, this question was clearly addressed to Benny. “What about Imperial? Ever think about going back? Or even Atlanta? It’s close enough to be doable.”

“I’m not sure that’s where I want to be,” Benny said frankly. He resettled himself in his chair. Alex adjusted himself accordingly. Taking the opportunity he saw, he reached for Benny’s red beard and tugged at it.

Too late, Sarah cried out, “Alex, no!”

“Doesn’t hurt,” Benny assured her. “This little fellow couldn’t hurt me if he tried, could you, Alex?”

“No,” Alex agreed, just before tugging at the hair again. I had to refrain from sniggering, and I could feel Ethan silently quivering beside me.

“Maybe someday you’ll have a beard of your own, little man,” Benny said, just before he gently removed Alex’s hand. “But that’s enough for right now, okay?”

Alex didn’t seem to mind. He turned to look at his mother as if to tell her he knew what he was doing. Benny handed him one of the brochures he must have picked up when we entered the building, and Alex seemed satisfied to examine that.

“What about you?” Ethan asked his sister. “You planning to stay with Mercy forever?”

“Of course not,” Sarah replied. I couldn’t help but notice she glanced away from him as she spoke.

“Don’t you have to get back to the museum at some point?” Ethan persisted.

“I don’t know,” Sarah waffled. Judging by her tone of voice, I could tell she wasn’t eager to pursue this particular topic of conversation. Ethan wisely let it go, even though I knew he wanted to find out what was troubling his twin. “Roanoke seems nice,” she unexpectedly added.

Was she suggesting what I thought she was? Ethan and I exchanged surprised glances.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers:

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment