Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #17 (4.3)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts. 

Rose and Thorne 6 continues as Vinnie and Ethan listen to Ethan's Uncle Benny, making up for lost time. See what's going on in this week's chapter. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #17 (4.3)

Benny’s suite contained two bedrooms, which was pretty standard for the Hamilton Arms, as we’d learned during our previous sojourn at the hotel. I was just glad we weren’t staying in the same suites as before—me with Troy and Ethan with she-who-shall-not-be-named. In fact, I was grateful we weren’t even on the same floor as that would have brought up rather unwelcome memories as well.

We ordered dinner from room service. I had to admit the steaks there were pretty good. Plus food seemed to just taste better on the government dime. Maybe that’s the cheapskate in me. I like to think of myself as frugal, but either description works.

I curled up against Ethan on the couch, after we’d eaten, and we listened to Benny. He had lots of stories to tell, some about his time in prison, and some of his adventures afterward. He even had funny stories about Ethan and Sarah as youngsters, and he loved to talk about his sister, Maureen, my future mother-in-law. And wasn’t that a strange concept? Marriage, in-laws, the whole nine yards. But when it came to Ethan’s mother, I really liked the idea. I wasn’t so sure about his father yet. And I definitely disliked his brother, although I was very fond of Sarah.

I think Benny skated over the bad parts, because most of his stories were either funny or touching. I could understand not wanting to dwell on the past, especially since his future was looking so bright.

“I hope I’ll be receiving an invitation to the wedding,” Benny said, winking at us.

“Of course!” Ethan and I both chimed in together.

“Naturally we want you to come,” Ethan added.

Benny finished up his slice of Mississippi mud pie and followed it with a coffee chaser. He gave a satisfied sigh. I had never even heard of this particular dessert until I met Ethan. The pie is made with a chocolate graham cracker crust and is filled with a fudgy cake and covered with chocolate ganache. Sometimes whipped cream on top. So good.

“When is the big event?” he asked.

 Ethan and I just looked at one another. We hadn’t gotten as far as setting the date yet. We hadn’t even been engaged all that long and were still getting used to the idea. Well, maybe I was more than Ethan. Even so, Ethan hadn’t pushed me to commit to any particular day, and I was content with the status quo. Not like we weren’t a couple in every conceivable way. A piece of paper wouldn’t make us any more committed than we were now. Not like I was dodging setting a date either. It just didn’t seem that important, and we’d had other things on our mind. Especially now that we had Benny to look out for, at least until he testified against his ex-lover. Uncle Benny, that is, not to be confused with our thieving little pup. And couldn’t that get confusing in future conversations?

“We don’t know,” Ethan said with a sheepish grin. “But we’ll let you know once we have everything figured out. Like where and when.”

“Sounds good to me,” Benny said.

A butterfly twirled in my stomach. For a quick second, I had a vision of a long white wedding gown, with me in it! I pushed the image out of my mind.

Oh hell no!

“By then, all of this will be over and life can return to some semblance of normalcy.”  I thought I detected a hint of wistfulness in Benny’s voice, and my heart went out to him. Normalcy was elusive at best, but especially when your life has been very chaotic for a long time.

“If you need a place to stay, you can always come live with us until you figure things out,” I said without thinking. Damn, too late it occurred to me I should have spoken to Ethan first. Why did I have a tendency to speak without thinking sometimes? I turned toward him, an apology spring to my lips, but I could see by the look in his eyes that my words weren’t necessary. He was looking at me the way he does when he thinks I’ve done something special.

“Absolutely!” he seconded. “You can stay with us for as long as you like.”

“Good to know,” Benny said. “You have no idea how much I appreciate the two of you. I thought about maybe settling down near Maureen, but I think maybe that’s a little premature. At least until I’ve seen which way the wind blows. But first things first. Put Connor away for a long time and then see where life takes me.”

“Fate can be both fickle and wonderful,” Ethan said. “It brought me and Vinny together. Gave us a wonderful career. And our little Benny. Now it’s brought you back to the people who love you. I bet there are more good things looming on the horizon for you.”

“I like the way you think, nephew.”

I had to admit that I did too. Ethan… my eternal optimist. I wouldn’t have him any other way.

 to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are doing!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment