Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #16 (4.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts. 

Ethan and Vinnie are learning what led up to where they are now, in a hotel room with Ethan's Uncle Benny. See what's happening in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne 6. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #16 (4.2)

“Jewelry,” Benny replied. “He became obsessed with stealing some of the jewels he heard were on display. In particular, he was obsessed with something called the Blue Heart Diamond. Said it reminded him of the movie Titanic.” Benny shrugged while Ethan and I shared shocked glances. What kind of idiot was this guy?

“Out of curiosity, how did he plan to get into the Smithsonian without being caught?” Ethan asked. “I mean, they must have extensive security systems in place.” I’d been wondering the same thing myself.

“You would think so, wouldn’t you?” Benny snorted in obvious derision. “He got the idea from an ex security guard he met and seduced in some bar in San Francisco. Probably the same one where he ran into me, I don’t know. But this guy, Jeff, was bragging to Connor about how he used to work at the Smithsonian and how important he’d been there. He described these beautiful collections of jewels they had on display and how valuable they were, and how it had been his job to personally keep them safe and sound. And how sorry they all were when he left. He was probably trying to make himself look like a big man, but all Connor saw were dollar signs. And doing what he loved to do best—steal. Except on a whole new level. I’m sure Jeff never knew what hit him. By the time Connor was through with him, the poor sap probably didn’t know up from down.”

A moment of silence passed. I couldn’t help but think Benny was referring to himself as well as the other guy. Despite his outwardly calm demeanor, I had to believe he was furious on the inside at what he’d allowed himself to get into all those years ago.

“Let me guess,” Ethan spoke up. “This Jeff guy still knew people who worked there and was sure he could get one of them to let them in after hours.”

Ethan’s hypothesis brought a smile to Benny’s lips. “That was pretty much his scheme, yes. I guess he never thought about the internal security measures that must be in place that would have to be bypassed as well.”

“So what did you do then?” Ethan asked. He seemed to be hanging on his uncle’s every word. I could tell how much he’d missed the man, and I couldn’t help but be glad they’d been reunited. Too bad it had to be under these circumstances.

“At first I wasn’t sure what exactly to do,” Benny admitted. He smoothed down his fuzzy red moustache, first one side then the other, before continuing. “I knew I wasn’t going to help Connor do anything much less anything so stupid and illegal, but I wanted to be sure I was turning him in to the right agency too. I finally ended up calling an eight hundred number and they put me through to some anonymous agent, who took down some basic information and told me someone would be in touch. So I just waited, hoping they didn’t take too long to get back to me.  Not long after that, I finally got a call from a different agent, and we arranged to meet. I told him Connor’s whole stupid plan. By that time, the date of the robbery was only a couple of weeks away. I had to admit, I was on pins and needles, wondering if I was about to get myself into another huge mess, an even bigger one than the first one. I knew I wasn’t going to get off so easy the second time, and I was quite frankly getting worried. But everything went surprisingly well. Connor and Jeff and I all flew to DC, and on the appointed night, we went to the Smithsonian and we were all apprehended in the act.”

“Wow,” Ethan exclaimed. “That is so… amazing. I’m glad everything worked out well, Benny, and you didn’t get in trouble, and I’m so happy to see you again.” It warmed my heart to hear the love in Ethan’s voice for his uncle. Ethan was more about family than I was, I had to admit. Although I did like his mother and sister, I still wasn’t used to the concept of family outside of my own mother. It was nice to see the bond that obviously existed between uncle and nephew.

“There’s still something I don’t understand, though,” Ethan said.  “How did you end up getting Vinnie and me as security? That can’t be a coincidence, surely? I mean, of all the agents in the country, how were we assigned to you?”

“You can thank your boss for that,” Benny said. “Apparently when I was in the process of being transferred here, he got a hold of my file and recognized my name and somehow made the connection between us. He met me at the airport and brought me here. That’s when I found out that you were one of his agents.  Your mom had mentioned you were in law enforcement. We just hadn’t had a chance to go into the details.  I am so proud of you, Ethan. I always knew you’d do well, and you certainly have.”

I knew Ethan was blushing even before I glanced his way. The next moment, Benny was hugging us again, before taking his seat once more.

“And I mean both professionally and personally.”

Now it was my turn to blush. “Ethan’s the best thing to ever happen to me,” I blurted out without thinking. Well, it was true, even if it took me a long time to realize it.

Ethan took my hand and squeezed it. “That goes for me too,” he said.

Of course our mutual declaration resulted in another round of Guinness. I promised myself it would be the last. Not that I expected anything bad might happen, but we did need to be on guard at all times. Ethan must have read my mind.

“Last call,” he said.

to be continued


Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment