Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #15 (4.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

The saga of Ethan's Uncle Benny continues in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne 6. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #15 (4.1)

Surely I hadn’t heard Benny correctly. “The Smithsonian? Like in Washington DC? That Smithsonian?”

Benny chuckled, probably at the look of disbelief on my face. “Yep, that one,” he confirmed.

Ethan gave a low whistle. “That guy certainly has delusions of grandeur, doesn’t he? What made him think he could pull off something like that? I mean, he got caught just robbing a bank?”

Benny nodded. “That he did. And he even served more time than I did. Maybe that’s the problem. He talked to some guys where he was, and he believed some of the stories they told him. You’d be amazed how much guys in prison will lie just to keep from being bored.” He shook his head. “And why he thought I was a good choice to help him with his little project, I’ll never know. Maybe just because I was there. And maybe he thought he could manipulate me the way he did all those years ago.”

Benny paused, and for a moment, his expression seemed far away and distant, as if he was remembering his younger, more foolish self. “Well, once he explained it to me, how could I resist the opportunity to really screw him over but good?”

“I can certainly understand that,” Ethan said and I nodded my agreement.

“Okay, quiz time,” Benny said. “Do you know who controls the Smithsonian?”

Ethan and I looked at one another. I knew I didn’t know the answer to that question, and I wasn’t sure Ethan did either, judging by his blank look.

“I would assume some sort of board of regents,” he said. “I’m not exactly sure how museums work. I’m sure Sarah would know.”

I’d completely forgotten that Ethan’s sister worked at a history museum. Or at least she did at one time. I wasn’t sure what she was doing now, other than trying to hook up with her baby daddy.

“True, very true, but this is no ordinary board of regents,” Benny told us. “This is a rather prestigious group indeed. One that consists of the vice president, the chief justice of the Supreme Court, three members of the Senate, three members of the House of Representatives, and nine citizens.”

Well, that was impressive. I had no idea, and neither did Ethan, But he was quicker drawing conclusions regarding that new knowledge than I was. My boy is certainly brilliant, I’ll hand him that.

“So what he did was automatically a federal crime. Or rather what he wanted to do. I suspect you kept that from happening.”

Benny broke into a very broad grin as he pointed one finger at Ethan. “Bingo! Right you are! You’d think he would have learned after the first time. Not like robbing a bank isn’t a federal crime too. That man is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier by any means.”

I had a feeling that part of that critique was meant to apply to Benny himself, for falling for that asshole’s particular brand of bullshit. But I wasn’t about to point that out. I was no psychologist, not even of the armchair variety.

“You were young,” Ethan said softly. “Doesn’t make you stupid.” What did I tell you? Sexy and perceptive.

“Thank you,” Benny quietly replied, and for a moment, nothing was spoken.

At that point, my curiosity got the better of me as I broke the silence. “What exactly did he intend to steal from a museum the size of the Smithsonian? And how did he possibly think he could get away with it?”

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment