Saturday, September 30, 2023

Saturday is Horror Day #133 - The Eternal Daughter, Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort

 The Eternal Daughter


Julie Hart (Tilda Swinton) and her elderly mother return to an eerily almost deserted hotel which was once their former home in order to find answers to unanswered questions. The hotel receptionist (Carly-Sophia Davies) is unpleasant at best, and not very cooperative. It doesn't take long for the hotel to get to Julie, and she isn't sure how much of it she can take.







I normally don't read reviews before I watch something so that I can make up my own mind about a film. 


In this cast, I wish I had made an exception to that rule. This is not a good movie, despite having Tilda Swinton in a double role, as both Julie and her mother. I suspected the truth from the outset and was proven correct at the end. What came in between beginning and end was not very scary nor interesting. In fact it wasn't much of anything at all. My advice is to avoid this at all costs. I'll give it 1 Star, just for Tilda.


Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort


An unexpected inheritance of a resort hotel in the middle-of-nowhere West Virginia brings Danny (Anthony Ilott) and his friends to investigate the windfall. The resort is being managed by Jackson (Chris Jarvis) and his sister Sally (Sadie Katz), who welcome their newly found kin with open arms. There is some confusion as to the relationship between Jackson and Sally, since she slides between calling him brother, husband, and cousin. But hey, it's West Virginia, so some people have a different definition of family. 





Danny's girlfriend Toni (Aqueela Zoll) isn't sure she likes this place, nor Danny's new kinfolk. Especially Sally.  But if she could read Sally's mind, she would like her even less. Strange things began to happen and people are getting hurt. And they begin to discover that maybe there are other people here who are, let's say less than normal. Toni wants to leave, but Danny is adamant that he wants to get to know his family better, and they him (especially Sally). But at what price?


Well, I managed to finish watching this one, which is more than I can say for the three that came before it, which should tell you something. I sit great cinema? No, but it's done fairly well considering the writing and the horrible plot. I think part of the reason it is better is that there are fewer of the inbred freaks, and the two family members with the most interaction appear deceptively normal. Jackson is even considered by some of the older female guests as very charming and attractive and they like to attract his attention in silly ways. Even if that attraction turns deadly.


Once again, I could have done without the gratuitous sex scenes, but whatever. If that's your cup of tea, so be it. If you like cannibalism and gore, you might enjoy this. There is one more in the series (as of this writing0 and I read somewhere it was good, so I guess I'll let you know when I watch it. In the meantime, I'll give this film 2 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment