Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #70 (14.5)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Vinnie is so confused by what's going on. Nothing makes sense? Audition? Is she for real? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #70 (14.5)

Troy moved quickly, blocking either woman from getting into his rental car. He gave her an apologetic glance, even as she began to pout.

“We want to ride with you, Troy. Where you going? Back to Hicksville? Never mind, doesn’t matter.” She sidled up to Troy, giving him what was probably meant to be a winsome and oh so charming smile, even as she lightly pressed her fingertips on his shoulders, as if to anchor herself to him.

“You know what? I have the most scathing idea,” she continued, completely oblivious to everyone around her, too focused on Troy to care, obviously. “Let’s drive back to Hollywood and surprise everyone. Won’t that be fun? I’ll get you an audition too, with my director. Just think of it! The hottest actress and actor back together again! The fans will love it, don’t you know?”

I started to move toward the delusional actress, but Ethan lightly restrained me, as if to say let’s let Troy handle this, see where it goes. I responded with a reluctant nod, and the other agents followed our lead. I supposed not interacting with her would be for the best. At least, until it was necessary.

Troy never missed a beat, never appeared flustered in any way, as he kept her attention focused on him. “That would be lovely, Carrie,” he agreed. “I bet we could break some box office records, you and me.”

“Absolutely!” She seemed to visibly relax, although her friend Helen seemed a little nervous, but she didn’t say anything, just clung to her side. At least they weren’t still attempting to get inside the car, although nothing said they wouldn’t try that stunt again.

By now, the other vehicles were on their way. We just had to deal with this situation, and we could be too. But it had to be handled delicately, for obvious reasons—no telling if that gun Little Miss Crazypants was carrying was for show or for real.

“Who’s the director?” Troy continued. “Anyone I’ve worked with before? What kind of film will it be?”

St. Clair furrowed her brow in thought. “I don’t really know,” she admitted at last. “Something about a serial killer, I believe he said. Maybe a kidnapping or something? But he’s very famous. I just can’t tell you his name right now.” She released a high-pitched giggle.

My blood ran cold at the mention of serial killer and kidnapping. Could someone possibly be thinking of filming a movie about the Mangler?  If so, would that include myself and Ethan? That was a most disturbing thought.

Troy ran an exasperated hand through his blond hair, but he never lost his cool with her. Like Ethan, he has the patience of a saint. I don’t know how they do it. I just wanted to yell at her until she spilled the beans. Forewarned is forearmed, after all.

“You can tell me, Carrie,” he coaxed. “It’s me, Troy. Your best friend. Don’t I deserve to know who I’m going to audition for? I should prepare, don’t you think?”

She appeared to consider his argument, before shaking her head vehemently. “Not yet. He said it would spoil the surprise.” She cocked her head and looked up at him coyly. “Maybe if you buy me an ice cream, I’ll tell you what you want to know. I’m in the mood for chocolate mint chip, and lots of it.”

So much for that idea.

“Maybe later, Carrie.” Troy sighed in defeat and motioned to us. Ethan, in turn, gestured toward Carlos and his partner. They carefully approached the actress from behind.

“You have the right to remain silent,” Carlos intoned, as both St. Clair and her friend Helen were cuffed and led away.

The actress tried to squirm out of the cuffs, with no luck. She twisted and turned toward where we still stood. “Troy, help me!” she begged, a note of hysteria rising in her voice.

“I am,” he said softly, although I knew she couldn’t hear him now.  He appeared to be devastated, but at the same time somewhat resigned. What a sad end for someone who once had such potential.

Brendan pulled Troy into a warm embrace, and we all stood there until Carlos’s car was out of sight. The other agents remained. I knew they intended to follow us to the tire store.

“Guess we’ll catch up with you up the road a bit,” Troy said.

“Be careful,” Ethan said. Once they’d pulled away, he turned to his uncle, who of course had remained with us. “Ready?”

Benny nodded, and we piled into our rental, ready for this trip to be over, somehow knowing it wouldn’t be that easy.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment