Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #51 (11.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Things are getting even stranger for Vinnie and Ethan. They return from a short trip to the store to find a strange car in the driveway, but it turns out to be Troy and Brendan and Benny! What the heck is going on here? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #51 (11.1)

Ethan pulled over and parked the car as I continued to goggle at the sight before me. I swear, this assignment was growing stranger and stranger. Before I could even sputter out a single one of my many questions, though, I heard Anderson’s ring tone on Ethan’s phone. What incredibly eerie timing. Or a helluva coincidence. How did he know they were here? Unless, of course, he sent them. But I could think of no earthly reason why he would do that.

Ethan answered even as I opened the door and exited the vehicle. I could hear Ethan following suit.

“No, no trouble,” he was saying to our boss. “No need to worry, it’s just Troy and Brendan.”

A momentary pause and then, “I don’t know. I’ll get back with you.” He slid his phone into his pocket and joined me as I hurried up the drive toward the new arrivals.

Troy and Brendan looked every bit as confused as we were, looking back and forth from them to us. But Benny wasn’t. He leapt from Brendan’s arms and barreled straight for us with much joyful yipping. I knelt down and scooped him up and became the recipient of multiple wet kisses for my efforts.

“Are you guys all right? I mean, you look fine, but…” Troy’s words trailed off.

 “We’re fine,” Ethan responded. “Why wouldn’t we be?”

Troy ran a hand through his hair, although nothing looked out of place. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him when he wasn’t looking his best. Maybe it was a nervous gesture.

“Because we got a message telling us you were in trouble, and that we needed to come to this address if we ever wanted to see you alive again.”

Didn’t that sound like a line from some cheesy movie or something?

Wait a minute. This address? Who would even have this address? And who even knew we were here? And why? Nothing was making any sense at the moment.

“Where are we?” Brendan asked, glancing up toward the house behind us. “Are you here for work or something? I have no idea what’s going on.”

I think that made four of us.

“That’s my parents’ house,” Ethan said. “We were on a job… Actually, we still are. Long story, but we ended up here, along with my sister and my uncle Benny. Anderson has people watching the house. That’s why he called. Because they reported seeing a strange car.”

Troy and Brendan glanced from Benny in my arms back to Ethan.

“Yes, he was named after my uncle,” Ethan said before the question was even asked.

I looked at our friends with growing amazement as I realized something. “You mean you came down here from Roanoke because you thought we were in trouble?”

“Absolutely.” Troy nodded. “It sounded serious, so we were worried, weren’t we, Bren?”

Brendan affirmed his statement with a nod. “Troy got us and Benny on the next flight out of Roanoke, and we rented a car in Atlanta, and here we are.”

Here they were indeed.

“Guess we should have called first.” Troy sounded a little sheepish. “Instead of just assuming the caller knew what they were talking about. Didn’t mean to bust in y’all like this.”

Ethan didn’t seem as relieved as I thought he would, his handsome features puckered into a frown. “But why would someone go to so much trouble to get you here? This makes no sense.”

Suddenly I felt exposed, despite the existence of the agents around us. I wasn’t sure how many there were or where they were. And I didn’t like not knowing what was going on.

Ethan obviously felt the same way. “Let’s go inside,” he said, gesturing toward the house. “We’ll figure everything out there.”

I couldn’t help but think that we were about to make Sarah’s night when we walked in with Troy McGarrett. 

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment