Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #48 (10.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Making the best of a tricky situation, Vinnie and Ethan enjoy some of Maureen's great home cooking, but of course Joey has to be an asshole - what else is new? The boys decide to go to the store since it's obvious more supplies will be needed, both for Sarah and her son and to feed this unexpected crowd. See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #48 (10.2)

After Joey’s petulant departure, the atmosphere at the dinner table visibly relaxed and we all enjoyed the rest of the meal. Maureen brought out an apple pie for dessert. I’d never seen one with a crumb topping before. Add to that some whipped cream… heaven in every bite!

Afterwards, Ethan and Benny and I insisted on clearing the table and doing the dishes. We said it was the least we could do for such a delicious meal. Maureen was clearly appreciative as she was able to focus on enjoying the company of her daughter and grandson. The three of us made short work of it all and returned to the living room to partake in family time. We only saw Joey once, when he slunk inside to take his plate into the kitchen.

“Please don’t just lay that in the sink,” Maureen said, but not in a mean way.

Joey mumbled something unintelligible and never paused, but a moment later we could all hear the water running in the kitchen, so he’d obviously taken her words to heart. Then he stomped his way back down the hall and out the door once more. Well, in all fairness, he had nowhere else to go in order to put what with Sarah and Alex having taken over the guest room. Maybe he intended to hide outside until time for bed. His loss, our gain.

I noticed Sarah shoot an inquiring glance at Ethan, and before I had a chance to wonder what that was all about, he said to me, “Guess we should go to the store now before it gets too late.”

I’d almost forgotten we’d agreed to do that for Sarah. Maybe stores out here closed earlier than in Roanoke. Although I didn’t mind the idea of some alone time too, to be honest. Ever the practical one, Ethan found paper and pen and asked Sarah what she needed, then asked his mother if she’d like us to pick up anything for her while we were out, especially since she had unexpected guests to feed.

“Well, maybe that would be a good idea,” she agreed. “Give me a minute, will you, to see what’s what?”

“Sure, Mom, no rush. Vinnie and I will be out on the porch.”

His mother rose, gave him a quick smile before heading off to the kitchen.

“I’ll look with you,” Sarah offered and followed her. Ethan asked his father and uncle, but neither one wanted anything, so we made our way to the porch. I was apprehensive at first until I realized Ethan’s brother was nowhere in sight.

“Probably skulking on the side of the house,” Ethan commented as he pulled out his phone. “I’m going to let Anderson know we’re going, so we don’t alarm whoever’s watching the house.”

That seemed like a good idea.

“C’mere you,” Ethan said in an extra sultry voice, once he’d hung up from our boss,  as he pulled me toward him and wrapped his arms around me. “Have I told you lately how much I love you? And how I can’t wait to marry you?”

“Do tell, Mr. Thorne.” I gave him what I hoped was a half-lidded seductive glance. We’d had little chance for intimacy, what with having guests in the house. I could understand Ethan being reluctant to do anything with his sister and nephew so close at hand. I suspected that wasn’t going to get any better with us sleeping in the living room with Uncle Benny and Joe Jr. Oh well, not like that was the most import part of our relationship. But still, it was a good part. And I’ve noticed, also, that when something is denied to you, it seems you want it all the more.

And I wanted Ethan very badly at that moment.  Who was I kidding? I wanted him all the time. But right now it felt like forever since we’d been together. Sheesh, not like we were honeymooners or anything… not yet.

“We should think about setting a date,” Ethan continued, as if he’d read my mind—what else is new? He licked at the corners of my mouth. I shivered at his touch.

“We should,” I responded, although my mind was definitely on other things and not what he was saying.

“I still owe you a vacation,” he continued. His lips brushed over mine, which throbbed with tingles of desire. I may even have whimpered a little needily.

“Vacation?” I echoed. “You mean honeymoon?” I was getting confused with what he was talking about, my attention span not at its best at the moment.

“That too, but first a vacation, Vin. Just you and me. Someplace warm and sunny.”

“Not Florida!” I quickly interjected, for obvious reasons.

“Not Florida,” he agreed.

“Yes, dear,” I sighed into his mouth before my tongue sought his, his sought mine, and the two became entwined. I was rapidly losing all sense of awareness of ourselves and our surroundings,  so focused  was I on Ethan. If I’d been thinking more clearly, I’d have realized how dangerous that could be. But I was with Ethan, I was safe… and I was incredibly horny.

It took the sound of something bouncing off the steps of the porch to put the brakes on our activities. My first thought was we’d let our guard down and our stalker had caught up to us.

Damn, what had I done?

 to be continued

Don't forget to see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell

 


No comments:

Post a Comment