Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #44 (9.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

More trouble is brewing with our boys! What should have been a simple assignment has turned dangerous and confusing. Now their boss tells them to stay out of Atlanta for a few days. In fact, they need to stay put where they are and he'll send agents to watch out for them. How will the Reverend Thorne take to this? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #44 (9.2)

I understood Ethan’s reasoning, but I wasn’t sure how he intended to accomplish the execution of said plan. What I did know was that I trusted him completely, and I would follow him anywhere.

“Do you want me to tell Dad to come out here?” Sarah offered.

Ethan shook his head. “I think he’ll feel more comfortable in his study, to be honest. We better do this now, though.” He turned toward me, and I sensed the unspoken question.

“You want me to come with?” I wanted to make sure I didn’t misunderstand him, even though he hadn’t actually spoken the thought.

“Of course. He has to understand that he cannot divide us, and that we stand united on everything.”

Okay, that made sense. I wasn’t afraid of his old man… well, not much. I could do this. For now, though, I would simply follow Ethan’s lead.

We all rose and re-entered the house. Maureen and Benny were talking together while the minister was playing with Alex, who seemed to be basking in his attention. I realized he probably saw his grandfather on a fairly regular basis, since Sarah lived so close to her parents, and for just a moment, I wondered what it would be like to have grandparents. I would never know, as my mother’s parents had disowned her before I was even born, and the other side of the equation doesn’t even bear thinking about.

Enough with the pity party, back to the drama.

Sarah swooped in and claimed her son. “Bath time, little man!”

That seemed to be Maureen’s cue. She rose, excused herself to her brother and said, “Let me get out a towel for him,” before bustling up the stairs. At the same time, I watched as Ethan leaned down toward his father, speaking in a low voice. The minister seemed a little surprised, but he quickly nodded without argument. He rose and headed from the room.

Ethan turned to Benny. “Sorry, Uncle Benny, something’s come up. We need to talk to Dad first, but as soon as we get his okay, we’ll let you know what’s going on. Mind hanging out here while we do?”

“Of course not,” Benny assured him. “Do what you need to do. I’ll be fine.”

I noticed Ethan glance around the room, as if ascertaining how safe it was to leave Benny here. He must have decided there was minimum threat, because we hurried down the hall to his father’s study, knocked briefly, then entered.

Joe Sr. was seated behind his desk. He seemed as unruffled as his daughter had been. I guess he saved the explosions for the pulpit…or for finding out his son’s girlfriend was actually a boyfriend. He waved us into chairs. And didn’t this scene feel familiar? Hopefully, it would have a different outcome than the last time.

I let Ethan have the floor, naturally. He was definitely the most eloquent speaker between us. Plus, his father, you know. He laid everything out for the minister in terms of what our job was, why we were with Benny, and what had been happening in the few short hours since we left Roanoke. He kind of skated over the part about Sarah and the baby daddy, made it sound like we had her and Alex with us as a matter of convenience, not to get away from her ex.

I still had my doubts as to the outcome of this little discussion. Ethan’s dad listened intently, never interrupting.

“That’s why I wanted your advice, Dad,” Ethan finished. “What do you suggest as our best course of action?”

At first, Ethan’s father said nothing. Oh oh, that couldn’t be good. Maybe he was trying to think of a polite way to tell us all to get the hell out of his house and take our troubles with us. Maybe he would suggest a nice hotel or nearby bed and breakfast. The longer the silence continued, the worse I felt.  I was just beginning to brace myself for his utter dismissal of our needs when he suddenly said, “I think it’s best if you all stay here, as your supervisor suggest. We can make this work.”

I think I just witnessed a miracle.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment