Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #40 (8.3)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #40 (8.3)

Well, let’s just say luck was not on our side when we arrived at the Thorne family home. Thanks to having been alerted by Sarah, Maureen was waiting for us when we pulled up the long drive, but she wasn’t alone. Her husband sat beside her on the porch swing. He stood when we pulled up but made no move to follow her as she flew down the steps toward the car.

I was surprised to hear Ethan mutter something under his breath that sounded like a curse, surely not at the sight of his mother. Alarmed, I glanced around us, not sure what he was upset about. And then I noticed the other car parked on the grass and I recognized it from our last visit. Joe Junior. Weren’t we just the lucky ones? And why did I think his being here had nothing to do with the return of his uncle to the family fold? Also, shouldn’t he be working? Doing whatever insurance agents did every day?

I started to comfort Ethan but he had already exited the rental car before I could get the words out, so I simply followed him. Benny was ahead of both of us, and he and his sister were already embracing. Sarah brought up the rear. Understandable as she had to release Alex from his car seat.

By then, Joseph Sr. had strolled down the steps and approached us.  His face lit up at the sight of his grandson, who seemed just as excited to see him, wriggling in his mother’s grasp.

“Yes, yes, it’s Grandpa. Calm down a second.” She handed her son into her father’s outstretched grasp. He leaned down and kissed her cheek then turned toward Ethan and I with a nod, even as he hugged little Alex. I had to admit, he was crazy about that little boy.

“Hello Ethan, Vinnie. Did you have a good trip?” he asked us. I was gratified to see that he wasn’t excluding me in any way. I knew he was trying, and that had to be worth something, right? Even so, I let Ethan answer for both of us. I wasn’t sure what he would say, or how much he would reveal.

“We’ve had worse trips,” he answered evasively, although at the moment I couldn’t remember when that was. Maybe he was referring to Florida, but I wouldn’t exactly describe that as a road trip.

I worked at maintaining a strict poker face when my future father-in-law gave me a sharp glance. He didn’t say anything, so either I had succeeded in fooling him or he was withholding judgment. Hard to tell.

However, at the sound of his wife’s voice, he was most definitely paying attention. She repeated his name. She nodded toward her brother, whose hand she held within her own. I wasn’t sure what to expect, all things considered, and the way Reverend Thorne had previously treated Benny.

It wasn’t until Joseph Sr. took a step toward Benny, free hand outstretched, that I realized I’d been holding my breath. I quickly exhaled and glanced at Ethan. He seemed as relieved as I felt.

“Welcome home, Benjamin,” Reverend Thorne said, and I heard nothing untoward in his manner, thank goodness.

Benny took the proffered hand. “Thanks, Joseph,” he said. “Good to see you again. By the way, you’ve got quite the grandson there.”

Those words did it. Joseph Sr. smiled widely, tucking Alex onto his hip. “I do indeed,” he agreed. "Why don’t we all go inside and get comfortable?”

Crisis definitely averted. I’m not sure what I’d been expecting, but this wasn’t it. Looked like Ethan’s dad was still evolving into more of a human being all the time. Ethan and I exchanged glances and I could see he was a relieved as I was.

Joe Se. led the way, followed by Sarah and Benny. Ethan and I brought up the rear, stopping only to greet Ethan’s mom. She was in great spirits, and her color was quite a bit rosier than when I’d first met her, at the hospital, after her stroke. She had her family together, and I could tell she was happy about that.

Still, there was that elephant in the room. I knew Ethan would ask about it, and he did.

“Is Joey here?” he asked.

“I haven’t had a chance to tell you yet,” his mother apologized. “Things have been a little hectic last couple of days. Joey moved back home. Temporarily,” she hastened to add.

Holy shit, what was going on?

Before we could even ask, Maureen said, “Heather’s gone.”

What did that portend?

to be continued

Now go finish the other Briefers and see what's up with them!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment