Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #41 (8.4)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #41 (8.4)

Gone? As in she left the little shit? Or gone as in she disappeared? The word gone could mean so many things.

Maureen appeared troubled as we followed her into the house. She took a seat beside her brother on the sofa while her husband settled into the armchair. Sarah had plopped onto the floor within reach of Alex, who was still in his grandfather’s arms. I supposed we would follow suit until Maureen patted the couch beside her.

“There’s room for you two here,” she said. “Make yourselves at home.”

She was right, we fit on the large comfortable sofa with little trouble. And I probably didn’t have to move as scoot to Ethan as I did in order to save room, but let’s just say I wanted to and leave it at that.

“Did something happen to Heather?” Ethan asked his mother, concern evident in his voice. He can’t help himself, he’s too nice for his own good. “I mean, is she all right?”

“Like you care?” another voice intruded. My heart sank when I glanced up to find Joe Jr. standing in the doorway. He seemed a bit…disheveled. Wrinkled clothing, bloodshot eyes, five o’clock shadow. All in all, not a pretty picture.

“Joe, please don’t talk to your brother like that!” Maureen’s voice sounded weary.

Oh oh, trouble in Paradise?

Ethan’s brother took a couple of steps toward Ethan, and I immediately sprang to the edge of the couch protectively. I didn’t trust little Joe not to try to hurt Ethan. I’d hit him before and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I think he remembered our last little encounter because he took a quick step backwards, out of my reach.

“It’s true. He doesn’t care about this family, never has. Mr. Hotshot Federal Agent. Comes to visit when it’s convenient for him and his… his…” He was studiously avoiding making eye contact with me, and it took every ounce of will power not to spring up and flatten him right then and there. But common sense—and the gentle touch of Ethan’s hand on my arm—kept me in check.

“Never calls to see how I am. Thinks he’s better than us when he’s just a sinner, he is. Living in sin, no better than his sister and her sin baby….”

The outpouring of hatred and bigotry momentarily floored me, but only for a second. And then everyone was yelling at once, and I found myself on my feet, along with Ethan, Benny, and Sarah. Chaos and confusion reigned, and it was only a matter of time until the first punch was thrown.

“Stop!”

Joseph Senior’s voice rang out over everyone else’s and we all fell silent. He was calming a perturbed Alex, undoubtedly upset by the bedlam around him. When Sarah reached for her son, he gave him to her then stood.

“There will be no more of that in this house,” he said in a stern voice that brooked no opposition. Undoubtedly the same fire and brimstone tone he used in the pulpit to keep his parishioners in line. “Joe, I would like you to go to your room until you can behave in a civilized manner. But first, I want you to apologize to your brother and sister.”

I didn’t think that would go over very well, and Joe’s body language clearly showed that was indeed the case. He stiffened, almost visibly digging in his heels. But then he cast a quick glance toward his father and immediately cast his eyes toward the floor.

A long moment passed. “I… I apologize.” And didn’t he sound just like a sulky teen-aged boy, rather than a fully grown adult of twenty-seven.

Not waiting for a reply—I’m not sure anyone wanted to make one—he spun on his heel and hightailed it out of the room. His noisy footsteps clattered up the stairs then faded into silence.

Well, that happened.

 Now go visit the other Briefers and see what's up!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment