Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #7 (2.3)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

Vinnie and Ethan take a walk and Ethan talks about his one-time best friend, his sister's baby daddy. But as they head home they unexpectedly see their boss' car in the drive. What does that portend? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne 6. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #7 (2.3)

Anderson Riley was the second supervisor Ethan and I ever had, and he was by far our favorite. While the first one had been under the mistaken impression that we were in the military, Anderson was more laid back and genial and very Southern. In appearance, he reminded me of Sean Connery, if the actor were to pack on a few extra pounds, and he had a drawl you could cut with a knife. But you could always count on Anderson to have your back, and I trusted him. That wasn’t something I did lightly. I was even suspicious of Ethan when we first met and were partnered up. He still finds that funny and likes to tease me about it, although I’ve long since gotten over that. I trust him implicitly now, with every fiber of my being.

“What’s he doing in Roanoke? You don’t think something’s wrong, do you?” Ethan fretted. But at least our boss’s presence was distracting him from the situation with his sister, so I had to think that was a good thing, no matter what the reason turned out to be.

“Maybe he just happened to be in town and decided to come give us our next assignment,” I suggested, trying to spin his presence in a positive light. Although he could have phoned just as easily, without having to make the three hour trip from Richmond.

“Could be, but he knew we were taking time off. What couldn’t wait a day or two? I hope there’s nothing too serious he needs us for. Like another Mangler case.”

I couldn’t help but shiver at Ethan’s words. Only a few months had passed since my harrowing experience at the hands of that crazy killer, the one who’d been responsible for the death of our temporary partner, Eva June. I tried not to think about what had happened, but sometimes images of Chip crept into my dreams against my will. And sometimes I’d awake in a cold sweat to Ethan’s strong arms, his gentle words and soothing ministrations. I’d hoped more time would pass before we had to face such a situation again.

Now it was Ethan’s turn to comfort me. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me close. “I’m sorry I brought it up. I’m sure it’s nothing so dire. Why don’t we just go find out why he’s here?”

He was always the sensible one between us. No wonder I loved him so much.

We found Anderson sitting in a chair the living room across from Sarah on the couch.. Our boss was making goofy faces at Alex, who sat on his mother’s lap, and the child laughed as though he thought the man was the funniest thing he’d ever seen.

“Hey guys,” he greeted us. “You’ve got quite the nephew here. Reminds me of my kids when they were this little.”

“He is something else, isn’t he?” This brought a smile from the proud uncle. He unclipped Benny, who ran off immediately to the kitchen, probably in search of food and water after his long arduous walk.

Ethan and I took seats on the couch, but just as we did, Sarah rose, too suddenly to be coincidental, surely. I had to assume she was still angry with Ethan. “Time for your nap, little man,” she said. Alex didn’t look in the least bit sleepy, but who can argue with a mother’s intuition? Was she being the soul of discretion, assuming our boss had something sensitive to discuss with us, or did she just not want to be in the same room with Ethan? I had no idea but I was hoping for door number one.

“It was nice meeting you, Mr. Riley,” she said politely from the doorway. Alex was squirming in her arms. I could tell he wanted to play with Benny, but his mama was having none of that and held onto him with an unbreakable grip.

“Please, call me Anderson,” our boss replied, rising. “Thank you for your hospitality. The pleasure was all mine.”

Sarah disappeared down the hall and Anderson resumed his seat. Then he got right to the point.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, and I do apologize for coming unannounced…”

Neither one of us spoke a word. Ethan had taken one of my hands in his, the other was white-knuckled against the sofa cushion. I’m not sure what I was afraid to hear… okay, maybe I did know, and words were failing me at the moment.

“I think you’d better look at this.” Anderson handed Ethan a manila folder.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment