Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #6 (2.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

Upset by his sister's revelation, Ethan takes a walk with Benny and Vinnie and reveals the story of James, his one time best friend. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne 6. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #6 (2.2)

“God, you’re the best Vinny.” His words reverberated warmly against my neck. “I just don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“You’d survive,” I assured him, even after he turned a skeptical eye toward me before straightening up. I was just being honest. Ethan was a strong man. His continued survival didn’t depend upon me. Me, on the other hand…

“But you don’t have to worry about it,” I hastily added to avert any potential storm. “I’m not going anywhere. I need you too much.”

That produced a smile. “Vinny, you always sell yourself short, you know? You’re like a cat. You’ll always land on your feet no matter what.”

I felt my cheeks warm at his words and could just imagine the blush he’d brought about. “But it wouldn’t be the same without you,” I said honestly. When Ethan kissed me, I decided to steer the conversation away from scenarios in which either one of us was bereft of the other. Such topics tended to be upsetting to me, especially considering what we did for a living. We might not face death on a daily basis but with any new assignment it was always a possibility. One I’d rather not think about too much.

“Did you try to contact James after he took off?” Back to the original subject.

By now Benny had finished his investigation of the insect—or rather the bug took off for greener pastures, to his dismay—and we continued to locomote along our path.

“Of course I did. I phoned him multiple times, shot him some rather nasty emails. I even went to his parents’ house, but they said they didn’t know any more than we did about his whereabouts. When I told them Sarah was pregnant, they…” He took a deep breath before continuing. “They weren’t surprised at the news, and neither did they seem to care. When I questioned them, they had some pretty terrible things to say about Sarah. How she entrapped their son. And worse things I won’t even repeat.  I never even told her. I mean I just couldn’t. It was bad enough she had our father to deal with, she didn’t need to worry about them too.”

“I’m so sorry,” I said. “What did your father do? He didn’t try to throw her out of the house, did he?”

He shook his head before stopping once more in the middle of the sidewalk. We had reached the point at which we normally turned and retraced our steps back to the house. Maybe he’d heard something in my voice. Not surprising. I couldn’t help but think of my mother, and how her own parents disowned her when she found herself having me. And so did my sperm donor. I’d never met any of them and didn’t want to.

“I would never do that to any child of ours,” he said in a solemn voice, and I believed him.

“I wish you could have met my mom,” I said wistfully. “I know she would have loved you. And you her.”

“I’m sure she was a wonderful woman,” Ethan said. “You’re proof of that. She raised you to be the fantastic person you are today.”

Again with the blushing. Only Ethan Thorne could affect me this way.  I tried to turn my head but he was having none of that. Using his free hand, he brushed back a stray strand of my dark hair before he kissed me. “Love you so much.”

“Love you too, Ethan.”

A moment or two of silence passed as we slowly wandered toward home. “I don’t want to see her get hurt again,” Ethan said at last. “I just don’t trust him anymore.”

“I can understand that.” I wanted to be the voice of reason, to tell him that everyone deserves a second chance, but every skeptical instinct I possessed told me that Ethan’s sister was just heading for heartbreak if she continued along this path. I had never met the baby daddy but I already mistrusted his motives. A man who would abandon a pregnant woman without so much as a backward glance and never make an attempt to see his own child… well, he was no man in my book.

“What the hell?” Ethan exclaimed. At first I thought maybe I’d said something wrong, though I couldn’t imagine what that might be. Then I saw his gaze riveted on a vehicle that sat in our driveway and my first thought was how did Sarah’s ex find us? But that irrational thought quickly passed as I recognized the car. Apparently Ethan did too. His anger had morphed into a puzzled frown. “What’s Anderson doing here?”

 to be continued

Now see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment