Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Wednesday Briefs: An Unholy Alliance #11 (3.4)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts. 

Char is at the library in Mason Spring, Mo, where the librarian, Casey, has been assisting him with his research into his family. Not an easy task at all. See what's going on in this week's chapter of An Unholy Alliance. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

'

An Unholy Alliance #11 (3.4)

As I scanned the lists, I pulled out my phone to take notes. Such an ingenious invention, this cloud. I was able to have access to my spreadsheets and word documents without the inconvenience of having to cart about a pc. I would crosscheck my sources against one another, searching for and take note of overlapping information. Since I knew the approximate area I was born, and somewhat of a timeframe, you’d think it wouldn’t be hard to locate members of my family…but you’d be wrong. Even if I had an actual name to search for, birth certificates were non-existent at that time, especially for slaves, since they were considered to be property, not persons. People assume that slaves were given the names of their owners for purposes of identification, but this wasn’t necessarily so. Add to that the fact that slaves were often passed down from one generation to another through inheritance and that muddies the waters, making it difficult to follow any particular family trail.

Sometimes I was able to locate bills of sale, but these too often offered scant information, omitting actual names but including such data as age, gender, and skin tone. In my case, I was stolen before I ever reached an age where I might be sold, before I was of any real interest to anyone outside of my family. And I came from an area where there were few, if any, plantations. Most slave owners in Missouri possessed small farms they needed help to work, often choosing to toil side by side with their slaves. That would have probably been my lot in life, had Dominique not taken a fancy to me and decided to make me her own, sometimes referring to me—somewhat facetiously— as the jewel in her crown. Sometimes I find it hard to reconcile the life I never had to lead—and what I gained in the process—with what my birth family must have gone through, the terrible life they must have led as slaves, so perhaps it’s fair to say there was a certain amount of guilt involved with my search.

On the other hand, I’d had to grow up with Dominique and the brothers from Hell. Not exactly a day in Paradise either. But at least I lived through what they dished out, when in the normal course of events I’d have died years ago. Some days I’m glad about that, other days less so. Which produces more guilt.

I’d recently begun to ferret out local folk lore, seeking stories about stolen children. A long shot? Maybe. But this entire enterprise went against all odds, so why not add a little bit more difficulty to the mix? Although so far, in that regard, I’d come up with bupkus.

I added a few more names to my spread sheet, comparing the two lists for families whose numbers had decreased in the decade which spanned them. I found none. There were names that were not present in the second census, but that could be for many reasons. Remember, there was a war on. People die in war. Not exactly encouraging.

“Here you go.”

I’d already detected the soothing aroma of the tea even before Casey spoke. Although blood was what I craved, for reasons beyond my control, tea possessed a quality that seldom failed to charm this savage breast, to paraphrase Congreve.

They set the delicate cup on the small table beside me. Like all traditional Japanese cups, this one had no handle. Cherry blossoms, aka sakura, adorned a black background. I lifted the cup and held it gratefully between both palms, relishing the heat it afforded, as she took a seat in a chair on the other side of the table.

I raised the cup to my lips and sipped, waiting for whatever she was about to say. I knew what she was really thinking—her eyes gave that away. She thought I should see a doctor because I was always cold, blaming it on poor circulation.

If she only knew.

But she was too polite to harp on that. She would let at least a few months pass before she brought it up again. No, I could tell she had other information to impart. I could only hope it was good.

But it wasn’t.

“So far, I haven’t found much from the Freedmen’s Bureau,” she admitted. “But they’re transcribing more and more records all the time. In the meantime, I’ve put out some feelers to an organization that specializes in regional folk stories. I’m waiting to hear from them now.”

The Freedman’s Bureau was the more popular name for the U.S. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands. Set up after the Civil War, during the turbulent period of Reconstruction, it was meant to assist slaves in their transition from slavery to freedom.

Three guesses how well that worked.

In the end, it was every bit as corrupt and inefficient as you can imagine, and not very effective. But they did have some vital records, some that even predated the war by a little bit, and those were the ones we were after. Apparently that wasn’t going very well either.

“Anything in what I gave you?”

I shook my head. “Not yet. I still need to go through the books, though.”

“Well, take your time. I’ll stay as long as you like. I have some work to do myself.”

Besides running the library and its various organizations, Casey was working on her first novel. Didn’t I mention they were talented. Not to mention, generous with her time.

“Hey, it’s you.”

My head jerked up at that strangely familiar voice. What the hell was he doing here?

Before I could even word a reply, Casey had discreetly slipped away and Tyrone had taken her place. As if he had a right to be there.

“Small world, isn’t it?” And there was that smile again. The one I wanted to punch.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

No comments:

Post a Comment