Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wednesday Briefs: Super Trooper #20 (3.6)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

The date continues! See what's going on with Chan and Evan in this week's chapter of Super Trooper. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Super Trooper #20 (3.6)


Chan set his beer on the coffee table, set his plate beside it, then moved closer to Evan and enveloped him in a hug. Maybe it was impulsive of him, but the embrace just felt right. He heard Evan release a sigh and relax into Chan’s arms.

“What did I do to deserve this from you?” Evan said softly.

“It’s just for being you,” Chan replied honestly. He turned his face up toward Evan’s, trying to gauge the other man’s emotions. Evan’s eyes seemed a little wet. Was he genuinely unused to receiving affection from others? Chan vowed to himself that would change, at least while he was around.

They clung together for a few more minutes before pulling apart to finish eating, then cleaning up. Once the kitchen was tidy to the satisfaction of both, they returned to the living room and cuddled as they talked. There was so much Chan wanted to know about his lover.

“How long have you been a trooper?” Chan asked. His head against Evan’s chest, he could feel it rise and fall with every breath Evan took.

“It’s been ten years now,” Evan said, his voice a gentle rumble. “Let me think. I graduated from the Academy when I was twenty-one, so yeah, ten years now.”

Chan was surprised. He hadn’t realized Evan was that much older than he was. He’d thought maybe there was a few years’ difference, but the ten year age gap was a surprise. Not that thirty-one was old. And age didn’t matter. Balji was actually a few years younger than Chan’s mother, but no one gave that a second thought or considered it to be odd.

“Did you grow up knowing that’s what you wanted to do?”

“Since maybe the age of ten.”

Chan thought he felt Evan stiffen beneath him, and he fretted that he was asking questions he should not ask. But then Evan shifted his position and Chan realized he worried too much.

“What about you?” Evan said. “I don’t think I even know what you do for a living.”

“Oh, I’m the assistant manager of the Tucker Falls Savings & Loan,” Chan replied, hoping Evan wouldn’t find his job boring. Especially compared to being a state trooper.

“That’s impressive. I’m sure you’re very good at what you do.” Evan kissed the top of Chan’s head. “Is finances something you’ve always been interested in?”

Chan considered the question for a moment. “I’ve always liked working with numbers. They seem to come naturally to me. That’s why I chose an accounting degree. But I don’t expect to stay there forever. That’s not exactly what I was hoping for, you know?”

“What were you hoping for?” Evan’s hand gently stroked Chan’s back, and Chan had to resist the urge to purr like a contented feline.

“That someday I might own my own accounting business, one that specializes in payroll and bookkeeping.” Chan had never spoken his dreams aloud to anyone except his mother and Balji. Compared to what Evan did, that wasn’t exactly a glorious ambition, but it was his. He prayed that didn’t lower him in Evan’s estimation.

Evan’s next comments dispelled his worries.

“I think you would be wonderful at whatever you did,” Evan said. “I admire you for wanting to be your own boss. I’m sure you’ll succeed.”

Chan warmed at Evan’s words.  “I’ve been studying taxes too,” he admitted. “That way, I can also prepare tax returns for my customers.”

“I would definitely come to you to get my taxes done,” Evan said. “Whenever you’re ready, let me know. I’ll be your first customer.”

“Really?” No one outside of Chan’s family had ever shown such confidence in him. He glanced up to meet Evan’s gaze, saw the sincerity in his eyes.

“Really,” Evan affirmed. He kissed Chan gently.  

The music was soothing, and Evan’s embrace was warm and comfortable. Chan felt his eyelids begin to droop. So not what he’d intended. He was afraid Evan would be disappointed in him if he fell asleep before anything happened between them. Not that he thought Evan expected that of him every time they got together, but surely he hoped… Chan’s thoughts were beginning to grow hazy. Maybe if he got up and walked around, went to the bathroom or something… but he couldn’t seem to move. 

Sooo comfortable.

“Do you go to church?” he heard Evan ask, his voice coming almost from a distance.

“No, don’t go to church,” Chan mumbled sleepily. “You?”

“No, I don’t. Maybe we should…”

But Chan never heard what Evan was about to suggest as sleep claimed him for its own.

to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

No comments:

Post a Comment