Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Wednesday Briefs: In Pieces #61 (15.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Although nervous to meet Salvation's manager, Ryan quickly takes to her and she to him. She seems like a mother to the group, and lunch at the Mexican buffet goes well. See what's going on with everyone in this week's chapter of In Pieces. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

In Pieces #61 (15.2)


The buffet contained everything Ryan could think of and then some, from tacos to enchiladas to empanadas and more. He wanted to try everything, but he was afraid his eyes would prove to be bigger than his stomach. He could always go back for more, he reminded himself. No sense in going crazy.

Once he and Ben had loaded their plates to their satisfaction, they headed back to the table, where the promised margaritas waited for them. At first, little was said as everyone paid close attention to their food. But once the first edges of hunger were satisfied, conversation picked up.

“How long are you staying, Marge?” Abby asked. “Can you come listen to us tomorrow night? Or do you have to get back right away?”

“Damn straight I’m gonna stay,” Marge replied. “I don’t get to hear you guys play near often enough. This’ll be a treat. I already told Kelly not to expect me back tonight.”

Ryan shot Ben an inquisitive look. “Her wife,” he said sotto voce.

“How’s Kelly doing?” Deacon asked.

“She’s doing great.” Marge beamed at them over her glass. “Sales are good, the real estate market’s getting better all the time. Otherwise she’d have come with me. She loves you guys, you know.”

“We love her too,” Keanu said, halting his fork in mid-air. “And man, can she cook. I keep telling her she should open her own restaurant.”

“I know, right?” Marge laughed as she patted her belly. “How do you think I got all this? I tell her that too, but she just says she only wants to cook for me, otherwise it’s not fun anymore. Can’t blame her for that.”

“Have any plans for tonight?” Aiden asked.

“Not really, why?”

“We were thinking about shopping for swim suits and hanging out by the pool. At least for a little bit. After that, I’m not sure what’s on the agenda, we didn’t exactly decide.”

“I could stand doing a little sunbathing.” Marge grinned. “I think I might take a siesta first, though. This food is delicious, but it’s making me sleepy.”

“Where you staying?” Ben asked. “We have Cameron’s car at the motel. We can drop you off wherever you want to go.”

“I’m at the same place you are, sweetie. Thought it would be easier that way. You guys walked here, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, we did, but I don’t mind getting the car,” Ben insisted. “Save you from walking back.”

“Pssh, I’ll be fine,” Marge said. “The walk will do me good.” She glanced at Ryan. “So, how are you enjoying the tour so far?”

“I’m enjoying it very much, ma’am,” Ryan responded. “So far, it’s been a pretty incredible experience.”

Marge chortled. “No ma’am, just Marge,” she insisted. “It’s gonna get even better. First Louisiana, then the whole country, right?”

“Right,” the members of the band piped up quickly.

“Oh, I almost forgot. I had a box of CDs mailed to the motel. You can sell them tomorrow night, like in between sets, and when you run out, let me know. I’ll send more.”

Good Now Ryan could get a copy for himself. Although it wouldn’t be nearly as good as hearing them live, but he knew they would still sound great.

Keanu rose from his seat, and for a moment Ryan wondered if he was going to suggest Deacon come with him to the men’s room. Again. But it turned out he had other things on his mind. “I’m going back for more, who’s with me?”

Aiden and Abby rose, and so did Marge. Deacon just shook his head. “Haven’t finished this one yet. What’s that, your third plate? Not that I’m counting or anything.”

“Not that I care or anything.” Keanu stuck out his tongue. “You’ll still love me even when I’m fat, and you know it. I’m that habit that you just can’t break.”

“You mean like some kind of drug?” Deacon deadpanned. “Not all habits are good, you know.”

“Yeah, well, I’m the best kind,” Keanu said confidently. He strutted toward the buffet. The others, ignoring their little repartee, were already there.

“Maybe Marge has a good idea,” Ben said. “A little nap before we head out wouldn’t go amiss.”

Ryan glanced at him in surprise. He’d never known Ben to willingly go to sleep during the middle of the day. Then he spotted the gleam in Ben’s eye, and he realized sleep wasn’t really what he was after. Wanting to reinforce the suggestion, Ryan faked a yawn.

“Good idea,” he said. The little snort that came from Deacon told him that he was fooling no one with his act and Deacon knew exactly what they were thinking.

“You can’t go wrong with a little time in the sack,” Deacon said, and it took Ryan a moment to catch the innuendo. His cheeks warmed, even as Ben chuckled and squeezed his hand.

to be continued

Now go visit the other Briefers and see what's up!





No comments:

Post a Comment