Saturday, May 4, 2024

Saturday is Horror Day #164 - Titane

 Titane


As a result of a childhood accident, Alexia (Agatha Rousselle) is left with a titanium plate in her head. Fast forward to her adulthood. Alexia is a car model, wearing skimpy clothing and writhing on top of automobiles. She leads a rough life and is clearly unhappy. One night, an encounter with an obsessed fan ends badly. Afterwards, she finds herself in the car she has come to love, having sex - with the car.







Due to her own actions, Alexia has to become someone else to avoid the law. She spots a computer-aged 


picture of a missing boy who would be 17 now, and disguises herself as him. She presents herself to the law and the father Vincent (Vincent Lindon) is called. He identifies his "son" Adrien and takes "him" home. Vincent is the captain of a firefighting brigade and they don't know how to take Adrien. Alexia binds herself to pull off her disguise, including her pregnant belly. But the deception begins to take a toll on her.






This is, without a doubt, a strange film. I was intrigued by what I read was the premise, of a woman having a sexual relationship with a car and getting pregnant, but this is not what I expected. It's rather dark and violent, and the scenes with Vincent are both tender and sad. He wants to hold on to his "son", no matter what - including if he isn't his son. I can't deny it's well-made, and the performances are good, but it just didn't do it for me. And leaves many questions. 

I can't say I recommend it, but I will give it 3 Stars. I wouldn't watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment