Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #91 (19.3)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

When Vinnie figures out what Ethan has in mind, to say he is upset is an understatement and his reaction is unexpected. See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #91 (19.3)

 “I’m sorry, baby, I’m sorry,” Ethan murmured in a continuous stream, his breath warm in my ear, his strong arms like a lifeline I could not seem to let go of had I even wanted to, while I continued to sob my heart out. I was angry, and I was frightened, and even a little guilty for yelling at Ethan when I knew everything he did was in my best interest. Our best interest.

“You know I wouldn’t put you through this unless I thought it was absolutely necessary. We can’t go on with this hanging over our heads. It needs to stop. Now.” His hands stroked my back in soothing circles while I worked at evening out my breathing.

Suddenly aware we were not alone, I glanced around us. No one was paying us any particular attention, for which I was grateful. Still, I didn’t want to embarrass Ethan any more than I probably already had. I started to rise, and he graciously helped me.

“I’m sorry,” I began to babble. “I know I’m acting childish. I know I have no reason to worry about him. He’s locked up, and he won’t ever get out again, I’m sure. And I’m with you.” Unspoken but clear was the understanding that I knew noone and nothing could harm me as long as Ethan was with me.

“Baby, no, it’s not your fault.” He walked me back to the table. Reaching for a napkin, he wiped my cheeks then handed it to me so I could blow my snotty nose. Such a sight I must have been. Of one accord, we grabbed our drinks and returned to the car, where I attempted to pull myself together.

“Would you like me to take you home first?” he began, but I shook my head vehemenly.

“No way. Not a chance. Not happening.”

The corners of his mouth turned up in a smile and I realized he’d expected just that reaction from me. He’d just wanted to make it my decision to go or stay. I couldn’t let him walk into the proverbial lion’s den without me. Even if I was afraid of the lion.

“Dude, you are stuck with me,” I continued. “For better or for worse.” Without thinking, I’d spoken the vows that we would take someday.

“For richer or for poorer,” Ethan said. “Till death do us part.” He looked so solemn in that moment, as if he were already making a vow. How could I even doubt we were meant to be together?

“Once this is over, let’s set a date,” I said quietly.

 Ethan’s eyes shone at my words. “Really? You’re ready to do that.”

“I’m ready.” I nodded. “I want to have you as my husband. For always.”

Were those tears I saw in Mr. Thorne’s eyes? Maybe the match to the new ones in mine?

“I love you so much, Vinnie.” He drew me closer to him, our lips meeting in a gentle kiss. “I can’t imagine my life without you, and I don’t want to. You’re the best person I know, and I want to spend the rest of my life proving how much I love you.”

My cheeks warmed at his declaration. “You know I love you, Ethan. You changed my life in so many ways and made it better. I never want to lose you, and I just hope you don’t regret—”

His lips on mine once more stopped whatever I’d been about to say, and I gave myself over to the sheer joy of being with Ethan at that moment.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment