Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #76 (15.6)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

A momentary lull in the drama finds Vinnie and Ethan hanging laundry the old-fashioned way - on a clothesline! See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follows my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #76 (15.6)

For that time of year, the temperature was fairly pleasant, being in the mid-fifties. Sunshine radiated down upon us as Ethan gave me a quick lesson in how to hang laundry. Not like it was rocket science or anything, but I wasn’t complaining. Gave me an excuse to have his hand over mine was he explained the intricacies of clothespin placement, punctuated by occasional kisses of approval.

Let’s be honest. Sleeping on the floor in the living room, with Ethan’s uncle, as well as Troy and Brendan, close at hand was not conducive to making love in any way shape or form. I was grateful that we could even snuggle together. But I wasn’t complaining, not really. I knew we’d make up for lost time as soon as we could. Probably after Benny gave his testimony and that was all taken care of.

“Thank you,” he murmured against my lips in between hanging up sheets on the line.

“What for?” While I wasn’t reluctant to take credit for anything, I couldn’t think of what I might have done recently to produce such a statement. I also wasn’t complaining.

“You’ve been so patient with all of this. Being cooped with my family. Putting up with some nonsense…”

I suspected he meant Joey, but not like that was Ethan’s fault.

“Sleeping on the floor, no privacy…the whole nine yards. Baby, I appreciate you so much.” He kissed me softly as I melted inside.

“I would do anything for you,” I said sincerely. “You mean everything to me. Everything.”

His beautiful smile only grew wider at my words. “And to think you couldn’t stand me at one time,” he teased. I felt my face grow warm, but I managed a weak smile.

“I think I can more than stand you now, Mr. Thorne,” I responded before I proceeded to demonstrate my changed feelings by kissing him very thoroughly. By the time we came up for air, his face was very flushed, and his lips were kiss-swollen.

Once all the laundry had been hung to dry, we were speculating on what to do next.

“Must be almost lunchtime,” I started to say when a flash of movement caught my eye from the side of the house. What the hell? I glanced at Ethan to see if he’d noticed. The serious look on his face told me whatever it was had caught his attention too.

Ethan put his finger to his lips and carefully crept in the direction of the movement. I automatically fell behind him. If someone had come up to the house, surely Carlos and the boys would have given us some sort of warning. No time to worry about that now.

A sense of trepidation stole over me. Had we been too unobservant of our surroundings, caught up in one another and the moment? We were on the job, after all, even if it didn’t exactly feel like it.

I almost ran into Ethan as he cornered the house and stopped abruptly. I put out my hands to steady myself, clutching at his hips.

“Son of a bitch!” I heard Ethan swear. I glanced up to see the object of his irritation—young master Joey himself.

Why was I not surprised?

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment