Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #72 (15.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

The evil actress has been taken away and the tire crisis has been taking care of, but that doesn't mean the problem is over as Vinnie and Ethan determine to figure out what is actually going on. See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #72 (15.2)

By general consensus, it was decided that tomorrow was another day, and we didn’t want to test the limits of Southern hospitality by being obnoxious guests. As Ethan wisely pointed out, certain people would hardly have access to their email while incarcerated. Besides, if we waited, maybe the mystery “director” would come out of the woodwork to find out what had gone done. Assuming he didn’t already know, of course. But how could he, unless he were there in person. Not like there’d been a press release or anything.

Good thing Ethan and I always carried a laptop with us. Never knew when you would need it, and today we definitely needed it. Maureen made extra for breakfast, insisting on feeding the agents outside. Ethan and I volunteered to deliver their food, giving us the opportunity to touch base with them. Carlos and the others were grateful, happy to have something other than fast food. I could understand that feeling.

We did a quick perimeter check to reassure ourselves that all was well, before we put our plan into motion. Ethan’s dad was headed to the church and graciously offered us the use of his office. I couldn’t help but wonder if he were planning to replace Heather with a new assistant or do all the work himself, whatever that might entail. But, naturally, I didn’t ask. Basically because I didn’t think it was any of my business. Benny opted for another cup of coffee and headed into the kitchen to visit with his sister. Joey was nowhere to be seen.

We set up our laptop on a small table in the office, rather than try to move the minister’s desktop. Once it was open, Troy sat in front of it, while Ethan, Brendan and I hovered around him.

“Does this mean she’s been in touch with the outside world while she’s been locked up in loony bin?” I asked.

“Mental health facility,” Troy automatically corrected before giving me an amused grin. “It’s not a prison, Vinnie. And even if it was, don’t prisoners get access to email these days?”

I supposed that was true, although I didn’t particularly want to test that theory.

We watched as he accessed her email account with a few quick strokes.

“Good thing she never changes her pass,” Brendan commented.

“Yeah, she doesn’t like change. Doesn’t want to remember a new password.”

That made me laugh. “Doesn’t she have to memorize scripts?”

Troy snorted. “You’d be surprised what you can get away with these days.” He turned his attention back to the screen. “Oh lordy, look at all of this email. Her fans have certainly not forgotten her.”

We glanced at the screen. There appeared to be hundreds of unread emails. Maybe thousands. Did she ignore her fans on purpose or what? The sheer number was daunting. It would take forever to go through all of those. I couldn’t restrain a frustrated groan at the task before us. Ethan squeezed my hand in sympathy.

“Too bad there isn’t some way of dividing this up,” Brendan said. “I would love to help.”

“I appreciate that.” Troy pulled Brendan down for a quick kiss. “But I don’t quite see how.

 

“I have an idea,” Ethan said.

That’s my boy. 

to be continued

Now don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment