Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #64 (13.3)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Well, this is a fine pickle! Five vehicles out of commission, thanks to some unknown person. Speculation is beginning that maybe Vinnie's least favorite actress is behind all this, but why? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #64 (13.3)

“Are you saying you think maybe Caroline St. Clair is responsible for what’s going on here?” Ethan seemed clearly skeptical, and who could blame him? And yet somehow I knew that was the case, even if I didn’t know how…or, more importantly, why.

“Caroline St. Clair?” Sarah and her family had just drawn up to us. “You know her too? Of course you do,” she quickly amended. “What about her?”

Ethan seemed reluctant to voice our fears, but I had no such inhibitions.

“We think she might be responsible for what’s going on here.”

“Whoa.” At least Sarah didn’t protest that a major Hollywood movie star couldn’t possibly do anything so crazy. I glanced toward Troy, worried I’d upset him, but he seemed more resigned than anything. She might be his friend, but he was not blind to her faults, or her eccentricities.

“But what exactly is going on here?” A very sensible question from the minister. I couldn’t help but notice he had a protective arm about his wife. I was glad to see that, especially for Ethan’s sake. He threw more than a curious glance toward the other agents, whom we had never introduced, naturally. Maybe it was time we did that.

“We’re still not sure, Dad,” Ethan admitted. “Our boss sent some back-up, though, to be safe.” Here he introduced Carlos. The other agents had taken up strategic points around us, keeping a watchful eye on everything and everyone. One of them had removed the offending spikes from the road. They sat on the ground nearby, gleaming troublemakers.

“How do you do, sir?” Carlos said as they shook hands.

“I’m concerned about the situation,” Joseph admitted just before he patted Ethan on the shoulder. “But I trust my son to do what’s best. What do you suggest we do, Ethan?”

Judging by the way Ethan’s beautiful blue eyes shone, I think his father’s words meant a great deal to him. I squeezed his hand in silent agreement.

“I think the first step is to contact Anderson and see what he wants to do. We need to get these vehicles back on the road and get everybody to a place of safety. At some point, when Anderson tells us it’s okay, we need to get Benny to Atlanta.”

That all made sense. Carlos nodded his agreement, and I followed suit. It was important we stay calm in order to keep Ethan’s family calm. No sense in panicking if we didn’t need to.

Ethan gestured to me and I followed him a short distance from the others, where he placed the call to our boss and apprised him of the current situation. He listened intently before saying “Understood” and hanging up.

“He’s going to send someone,” he said. “In the meantime, we’re to just remain alert, stay together, and wait.”

That sounded sensible. “You know, I just realized something.”

“What’s that, Vin?”

I scratched at my jaw while I formulated my thoughts, something that had been nagging at me for a few minutes. “You remember that detour sign, the one that sent us down this way?”

“I do. What about it?” He narrowed his eyes in thought as he listened.

“Well, if everybody is being shuttled off the main road to take that detout, why isn’t anyone else here but us?”

“That’s a damn good question, Vinnie. A very good question. I’m afraid we know the answer, don’t we?”

I nodded in agreement.

“That only goes to show,” he continued, “that we were the intended targets.”

That was the conclusion I reached even as he said it. So, if this was her doing all of this, she surely wasn’t acting alone. Who was helping her? Did this start back with Benny, at the hotel in Roanoke? The threats in Atlanta? But what did she have to do with any of that?

So many questions, so few answers.

 to be continued

Now go say howdy to the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

 


No comments:

Post a Comment