Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #61 (12.6)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Breakfast continues, and all seems well...until Ethan's brother opens his mouth. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #61 (12.6)

Troy was, not surprisingly, the center of attention at our table. Not that he did anything to hog the spotlight, but there was just something so naturally attractive, so very charismatic about him, that drew people to him, like moths to a flame. It didn’t hurt that he was good at speaking to people, not to mention he was a great storyteller.  But he was also sweet and sincere and he had a great heart. Ethan and I were proud to call him our friend. We loved him and Brendan too.

Despite all of charms, Troy was considerate. He made sure to show a genuine interest in other people and had a knack for making those around him feel good. Unfortunately, we may have forgotten to warn him about Ethan’s brother and what a miserable person he was, probably because we never thought their paths would cross. Our bad.

To even the most unobservant, Troy and Brendan’s relationship must have been obvious—their very body language, not to mention the way they held hands, even at the table, and were constantly gazing at one another. Too late, I realized that this made them a new target for Joey’s antisocial behavior.

At some point before the meal was served, Ethan’s parents excused themselves to talk to a couple at another table. So, naturally, the rest of us just talked amongst ourselves. Perhaps it was his father’s absence that emboldened the little shit.

“So, what would your fans think if they could see you like this?” Joey launched his assault directly at Troy.

“Excuse me?” Troy glanced at Joey warily, while maintaining a polite expression—kudos to him for staying calm. I noticed Brendan’s brow furrow and his cheeks flamed, but he said nothing. Beside me, I could feel Ethan’s displeasure. I laid a calming hand upon his arm even though I wanted to knock him upside his stupid head. I suspected Sarah felt the same way and held herself back because of the presence of her son.

Joe Jr. seemed oblivious of the trouble he was instigating. “Well, I mean with your macho man image and all, wouldn’t the ladies be dismayed to find out you play for the other team?” (Obviously, Ethan’s brother knew nothing about Troy or his films or he wouldn’t have made such a stupid comment).

I wasn’t about to let that slide, though before I could release any of the barbs I intended to wound him with, Uncle Benny had decided to add to the conversation.

“Is your wife one of those fans, Joey? Maybe we should ask her.”

At that moment, you could have heard the proverbial pin drop, shocked silence followed by Did he really go there? Benny’s verbal missile clearly hit its intended target as Joey’s face suffused with a deep red hue and he made no immediate rebuttal.

After spluttering for a moment or two, Joe Jr. seemed to regain some control over his thoughts. “My wife probably doesn’t even know who you are.”

Was that the best comeback he could come up with? Hardly devastating.

I could tell Ethan was seething, but holding it in for a number of reasons, just barely. But once again came a response from an unexpected source.

“That would be her loss. Troy’s one of the best actors around. And if you don’t know that, maybe you need to get out more.”

Now we all turned to stare at Brendan. Soft-spoken, good-natured Brendan, who obviously didn’t intend to let his man go undefended. He held his head high, his eyes boring into Joey. His cheeks had turned a soft pink but I could see a steely quality about him that clearly dared Ethan’s brother to keep talking smack about Troy.

“Thank you, Bren,” Troy said softly. He took Brendan’s hand, raised it to his lips and kissed it softly. I didn’t have to look to see whose excited squeal that was, or that Sarah was eating this up.

“Well, I don’t see any of your fans clamoring for your autograph,” Joey continued, rather recklessly, I thought.

For just a second, I thought I saw fire flash through Troy’s eyes, and I braced myself for his scathing retort…or Brendan’s…someone’s. But the moment passed, and when Troy spoke again, it was with the most dulcet and sweetest of tones.

“And what do you do for a living…I’m sorry, Jimmy, was it?”

The tension that had been building around the table visibly lessened at Troy’s words, and I distinctly heard a snort from Sarah. As for little Joe, he was visibly taken aback. His lips moved but I couldn’t hear anything immediately.

“Joseph,” he managed to get out at last. “Joseph Thorne, Jr. Named after my father. And what I do is none of—”

Fate in the form of a tall willowy blonde stemmed whatever he’d been about to say. She drew herself up beside him, and I’d swear she might have been six foot tall but perhaps that was from the perspective of being seated, before she leaned in to him. “Did I hear you say your name is Joseph Thorne Jr?” For some reason, she seemed really excited at hearing that, why I couldn’t imagine.

Joey seemed flustered too. He tripped over his tongue a few times before he said, with a certain amount of pride, “Yes, I am.”

The woman seemed pleased to hear that as she suddenly thrust out a sheaf of papers she must have been holding behind her back. “Mr. Thorne, it is my duty to serve you with these divorce papers.” She held the documents to him and he took them, obviously without thinking.

“Have a good day, sir,” she said. Just before she turned away from the table, she glanced at the rest of us and then asked, “Excuse me, but aren’t you Troy McGarrett?”

 to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment