Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #33 (7.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Back on the road again, Vinnie can't stop thinking about the woman he saw at the rest stop, and how much she reminded him of certain evil actresses. Could she have gotten out? Only one way to find out! See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan! Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #33 (7.1)

I found I couldn’t stop thinking about the woman I’d seen at the rest stop. Her image haunted me, superimposed with memories of she-who-won’t-be named… okay, by she I do mean Caroline St. Clair—well known actress and major nutty bitch. An intense feeling of déjà vu had washed over me when I’d seen her, a sensation that would not quit.

So I did what any sensible person would do. You mean forget about it, you ask? Have you met me? Of course that wasn’t my first impulse. Instead I decided to call the person most likely to know if certain crazy actresses were still locked up or not. Troy McGarrett, of course. Handsome Hollywood heartthrob and good friend to aforementioned crazy actress.

As I pulled my phone from my pocket, I saw Ethan glance at me curiously, but he made no comment. I didn’t have that many people in my contact list and he knew all of them. Not to mention, he trusted me most implicitly. Still, I’m sure he wondered what I was up to, but I also knew my side of the conversation would quickly give me away.

“Hey there sexy!” My call was quickly answered by a familiar cheery voice. At one time I’d thought Troy might be coming onto me, although I couldn’t understand it. But having to room with him for a case seemed to bring out a never-before-seen jealous side of Mr. Thorne, which surprised me greatly. Now we were all three great friends. Four, counting Troy’s live-in boyfriend, Brendan Muldoon.

“Hey there Mr. Hollywood!” I teased.

I caught Ethan’s grin just before he said, “Tell Troy I said hi.”

I relayed the message even as I heard a gasp from the backseat. “Troy? As in Troy McGarrett? That Troy?” I ignored Sarah and focused on my call instead.

“I thought you’re supposed to be working,” Troy commented. Of course he knew what was going on with us since we’d dropped off our dog with Brendan just that morning.

“We are. Turned into a road trip,” I replied. “I’ll explain later. And Ethan says hi.”

“That’s cool. Tell Ethan hi back.” I immediately relayed the message.Troy was as laid back as Ethan. Nothing seemed to faze either one of them. And they actually resembled one another in a superficial, blond, blue-eyed way. Troy was handsome, yes, but Ethan was the better looking of the two, in my opinion. I might be biased, though.

“Are you still on location?” I asked.

“Just finished up shooting some interiors in Hollywood, actually,” Troy replied. “As soon as the director calls wrap, I’m going to get changed and head to the airport. I’m already checked out of the hotel, and my bags are in the car.”

His voice held that newlywed anxiety that told me he had Brendan on his mind. How cute was that?

“That director wouldn’t be Gordon Daimler would it?” I guessed. We’d run into him before while working a previous case, and he hadn’t made a particularly good impression with me. Mainly because he had the bad taste to date her.

“No, it’s not. This director is a woman, and a really good director, as well as being a friend.” Troy sounded amused at my question. “Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no reason,” I mumbled. I was trying to think of a clever and innocent way to ask my next question but I completely failed at that.

“Is that crazy witch still locked up?” I had debated using the b-word but deferred to a relatively less insulting term in view of the fact that they were still friends. Unless the status quo had changed. One could always hope. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Ethan shake his head, but he said nothing. Any recriminations he had might come later. Or he might have given up on getting me to change my opinion of her. Again, one could hope.

“Carrie is still recovering at the sanitarium,” he confirmed. “Doing quite well, from what I can tell.”

I didn’t bother to ask how he knew that because I already knew he visited her now and then. No comment on that. “Does she get out sometimes? Like on a day pass?”

“Vinny, you’re worrying me,” Troy responded. “And your questions are oddly specific. Before we continue with the interrogation, mind telling me why you’re asking?”

I immediately felt my cheeks warm. Damn, I hadn’t meant to sound so… I couldn’t think of a sufficient word to describe how I must have sounded to Troy. I really needed to let up on that front…once I was sure that it could not have been her I saw.

Before I could answer, Troy said, “Just for the record, I don’t think she goes anywhere, to be honest. But she does have visitors. Family, friends, fans… She’s happy with that, I think, and is working on getting better.”

I had my doubts as to whether that was even possible but for once I held my tongue.

“So, what’s going on, Vinnie?”

“Well, I just thought I saw someone who looks like her, that’s all.”

“Where?”

“Um… at a rest stop here in Virginia.”

“Carrie? At a rest stop? In Virginia?” I couldn’t blame him for sounding skeptical. It sounded as ridiculous to me when I said it aloud. And yet…

“She was dressed like she was in Roanoke, when she was incognito at the grocery store,” I continued.

“Vinnie, it has to be a coincidence, that’s all. Why on earth would Carrie even be there? You seriously think she’s stalking Ethan? You know that was just to make Gordon jealous, right?”

I knew that. Damn, I felt stupid.

“Yeah, you’re right. I’m sorry to bother—”

“You’re never a bother, don’t say that. Call us later, okay? Gotta go.”

He clicked off and I returned the phone to my pocket. Guess I should find a better theory, huh?

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment