Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #23 (5.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

The plot thickens! The baby daddy has shown up on Vinnie and Ethan's doorstep, like a thief in the night! What's up with that? How will this go over with Ethan, his one-time best friend? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #23 (5.2)

James was as blond as his son, and not bad looking, although nowhere near as attractive as Ethan. Little Alex had good genes on both sides, apparently. But of course looks weren’t everything, and Ethan had a generous, kind, loving heart, while this was the man who’d run out on his pregnant girlfriend. ‘Nuff said.

“Nice to see you too,” came the sarcastic reply to Ethan’s question. Well, this wasn’t starting out well, was it? Was I going to have to get between these two before they got into an altercation of some kind? I knew Ethan was not a violent man, but when it came to those he loved, such as me and his sister, he could be, when provoked. Of course, there was Sarah’s son to consider. Ethan would never place him in the line of fire. There was no telling what the child’s father might or might not do.

“I’m sorry, were you expecting the Welcome Wagon?” Ethan’s voice was pitched low, probably in deference to the child in James’ arms, but his tone was certainly laced with venom. How long had he been holding that back? For more than three years, by my reckoning. I was becoming more and more apprehensive that a major battle was in the offing.

“Guys…” Sarah held up a warning hand. A sudden yip answered another question I’d wondered about. Namely, where was our faithful watchdog while our home had been unexpectedly invaded by a stranger? I glanced down to find that Benny had strolled out from the same bedroom where all the action apparently was going on this evening and he’d parked himself in front of Ethan, as if demanding attention from his daddy. Who was going to tell him this was not a good time?

“I guess I was hoping that somewhere in in the back of that  normally warm and generous heart of yours there was even a small part of you that would be happy to see your best friend,” James continued in a cold voice that belied whatever sentiment he intended to convey through his words. I could have told him that wasn’t going to get him anywhere, but then no one had asked for my opinion and I didn’t feel comfortable offering it.

“Best friend?  Best friend? Seriously? You are unbelievable.” Ethan snorted. “You disappear from our lives, no, not just our lives, but the life of your unborn child. Your baby. Your son. Not one word, never a word in three goddamn years. From you or your parents. Not a penny of support, much less anything else. Not a single sign of wanting to get to know your own child. And yet, for some reason, you think you’re entitled to show up unexpectedly on my doorstep, and you think should be welcomed home like the prodigal son. After what you did to Sarah and Alex? You are not my best friend in this or any other universe.”

I noticed that as Ethan spoke, he was slowly advancing toward James in a somewhat menacing manner I found alarming. Ethan angry was not someone I normally had to deal with, and usually any anger was directed toward the criminal element we had to deal with within the scope of our jobs.  I wasn’t sure how well I could handle this Ethan or keep him from doing something irrevocable… such as murder. I laid what I hoped to be a soothing hand on his arm, at the same time turning toward Uncle Benny with what I hoped was a mute appeal for assistance.

Luckily for me, he totally understood.

“This is not a good place for a discussion,” Benny spoke up. “And surely this little man should be in bed?” He sent a questioning look toward Sarah, as if seeking her support, but I found her response somewhat lacking.

“He just wants to see his father.”

I had honestly hoped for better from her.

“His father?” Ethan echoed. “I’ve been more of a father to Alex than James has ever been. He’s nothing more than a sperm donor. Beyond that, he’s a complete stranger in his own son’s life. Sarah, why is he even here?” I could hear the pain in Ethan’s voice and it was killing me. I had to at least try to make the situation better.

“Why don’t we take this discussion into the living room?” I suggested. I hoped that once we were out of this narrow, enclosed hallway, Ethan would be less likely to pounce on James and beat the tar out of him. We could keep them on opposite sides of the room, at a safer distance. Yelling but not striking distance.

“Who the hell are you?” James turned and glared daggers at me.

I guess I’d assumed Sarah would have told James about me and Ethan, considering this was our home they’d decided to hang out in—behind our backs, I might add—but I guess that never happened. Which begs the question of why come here in the first place? Something wasn’t adding up.

“Don’t talk to my fiancé like that.” Ethan’s tone was even more menacing and I couldn’t help but notice he’d balled his hands into fists. I knew he wouldn’t do anything to endanger Alex, but I was still worried about what might happen.

James’ blue eyes widened suddenly as he looked back and forth between me and Ethan. Then his gaze shifted to Sarah. “You didn’t tell me Ethan became a fa—”

Acting on pure instinct, I snatched Alex from James’ grasp and handed him off to Sarah before pivoting back toward James in the same fluid motion, my first connecting with his nose with a loud but satisfying crunch.

“Got anything else to say, motherfucker?” I dared him to speak.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

 


No comments:

Post a Comment