Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #11 (3.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

Vinny and Ethan head to the Hamilton Arms for their new assignment - guarding Ethan's Uncle Benny! See what's going on in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #11 (3.1)

As we entered the Hamilton Arms, I found myself filled with conflicting emotions—a mixture of anger and apprehension. I couldn’t help but remember the last time we’d had to take up residence at this hotel, just last year, as well as the reason for our being there—namely, to satisfy the self-serving whims of a very spoiled and entitled actress. Even after all this time, simply hearing the name Caroline St. Clair was enough to set me off. Not surprising considering all the shit she pulled or tried to pull on us, including her misguided attempt to claim Ethan as her own. Despite all that, we’d managed to come through everything relatively unscathed. Plus we had a new friend to show for the experience in the form of Troy McGarrett, the popular and very handsome actor, whom we’d introduced to his new significant other, Brendan Muldoon. So it wasn’t entirely time wasted.

I decided to put past history aside and focus on Ethan instead of dwelling on what couldn’t be changed. What was going through his head right now? He was about to see the uncle who’d been kicked out of the family for being gay, thanks to Ethan’s homophobic preacher father. And under less than agreeable circumstances. I wasn’t sure how old Ethan had been at the time, but something like that was bound to have an effect on someone as sensitive as my Ethan. Just what was going on here? Who or what were we protecting this man from? Would this be a joyous family reunion or something far more sinister?

We’d read the file Anderson had given us before we left the house, but the information it contained was sketchy at best. It was hard to be completely objective when a member of Ethan’s family was involved. Color me surprised that the two of us had been given the case to work, all things considered. I would have thought that wouldn’t be allowed. But then again, we didn’t exactly fly by the same rules as other organizations, so maybe that made it okay? I didn’t know, and right now that didn’t really matter.

We entered the elevator in silence. Ethan had insisted on carrying our bag and I didn’t argue. I figured it gave him something to do with some of his nervous energy. He pressed the button then reached for my hand and I squeezed it in what I hoped was a reassuring fashion.

“How long since you’ve seen him?” I asked.

“It’s been ten years,” Ethan replied, a slight frown marring his perfect features. “I was about sixteen when my father found out. On the same day he learned that Benny was gay and that it was his boyfriend that got him sent to prison. I’ll never forget the way he yelled at Benny. Told him to get out of his house and never come back. And he didn’t.”

Wow, double whammy. And look how well Joseph Thorne handled that situation. In stereotypical ministerial style. He’d cast out his wife’s brother for being someone he couldn’t or wouldn’t understand. Hadn’t he tried to do the same to me? That hadn’t worked out as well for him this time.

“Did he know you were gay too? I mean your uncle, not your father.” Obviously the minister did not, as I well knew. That coming out had taken place just recently, when Ethan’s mother had a small stroke and he and I had gone to Georgia to see her. That scene had not been fun, so I could only imagine what Benny had had to go through at the hands of his tyrannical brother-in-law.

“I never had the chance to tell him. I mean, I barely understood how I felt about my sexuality myself, much less feel secure enough to confide in anyone about it. And when I saw my father’s reaction to my uncle, I was too terrified to say anything to anyone. So I just hid the truth from my family.” Ethan’s voice seemed to choke on his last words.

This was not what I’d wanted when I started this conversation. Was this elevator being extra slow or was that just my imagination? We reached the floor at last and I heard the bell ding our arrival. I stepped into the doorway to prevent the doors from closing as I turned to Ethan.

“If you don’t want to tell him now, I’ll understand. Especially under—“

“Hush,” Ethan said promptly. He drew a deep breath, his voice its usual rich, confident timber. “I know what you’re offering and I won’t do it. My uncle is going to know who you are and what you mean to me. I will never hide you from my family ever again, Vinnie. This I swear to you.”

My heart swelled at his words. We exited the elevator, consulting the numbers on the wall as to which way the room we sought lay, then turned toward our right. Just a couple of doors down, Ethan set down the case and knocked on the door in the pre-arranged signal. I could hear movement inside the room. Moments later, the door opened and there stood the man from the photo himself. He seemed both relieved and happy to see us. Well, Ethan.

Before either one of us could say a word, he’d enveloped Ethan in a great big bear hug, lifting him from his feet. I stood back and watched the joyous family reunion with a little bit of envy, I have to admit.

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment