Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #2 (1.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

Ethan's sister is spending a few days in Roanoke, visiting the boy, along with her cute baby Alex, when she drops something of a bombshell that has the usually calm Ethan rather flustered. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne 6. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers, 

Rose and Thorne 6 #2 (1.2)

I don’t know if I was more surprised by Sarah’s statement, or by Ethan’s reaction to it. I glanced at him, forgetting whatever comment I had intended to make. His blond brows were furrowed in uncharacteristic anger, and his normally calm blue eyes had darkened, resembling a storm on the sea. As if sensing his daddy’s perturbation, Benny made an appearance, having just awakened. He leapt up onto Ethan’s leg, while I placed my hand on Ethan’s arm, my own gaze undoubtedly revealing how disturbed I was at what I was seeing.

But the very next moment the storm had passed, almost as if it had never been, and the sun in my sky made a reappearance. If I didn’t know Ethan so well, I might have thought I’d been mistaken. But I do, and I know what I’d seen. Ethan was not a happy camper.

He stroked Benny’s soft fur, which elicited a yip from the excited pup. “Ready for breakfast, little guy?” He lifted Benny into the crook of his arm and rose from the table in one smooth motion. My inclination was to follow him, even the short distance to the stove where he’d kept Benny’s breakfast warm. Not his entire breakfast, of course, just a little something to add to his kibble to give it a little oomph. But I decided he’d be safe enough walking the few short feet, and he didn’t need me underfoot. Bad enough I was still feeling overprotective of him after his stint as a hostage in Washington DC last Christmas—I didn’t want him to find my presence claustrophobic. Ethan would laugh and just tell me he never could, but I wasn’t taking any chances.

Yes, call me insecure… but I am getting better.

I glanced toward Sarah. She had busied herself with Alex, assisting him to use his fork, although at this point I wasn’t sure what difference that would make considering the mess he’d made of the table, but I think that was just an excuse for avoidance on her part. I could see her brother’s unhappiness mirrored on her face. Yet when she turned toward me, that storm too had passed.

This twin thing was eerie, to say the least.

Ethan carried Benny to his food bowl, added in the bit of extra he’d made for him, and set the pup on the floor. Benny barked a quick thanks before tucking in with gusto. He did enjoy his meals, I’d noticed, and never complained about the menu, always careful to show his gratitude to the chef.

 Afraid Ethan intended to bolt, I held out my hand. He hesitated for a split second before taking it. I squeezed his hand lightly, hoping he would find my touch comforting.  When he returned my squeeze, I breathed a small sigh of relief as he resumed his seat beside me. I scooted a little nearer—any closer and I’d have been in his lap.

“Breakfast is good,” I praised Ethan, hoping to diffuse the situation, even if I didn’t understand exactly what the problem was. Family dynamics was not something I had much experience with, other than my mom,, and she and I always got along well.

My ploy didn’t exactly work, though.

“So, how long has this been going on?”

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment