Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Wednesday Briefs: An Unholy Alliance #24 (6.3)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

Charlemagne refrains from killing Tyrone's cousin, but he is sorely tempted. Tyrone defuses the situation and suggests they get a drink in town. See what's going on in this week's chapter of An Unholy Alliance. Also, I think that I will stop posting the story after next week, so that I can write it faster and not in short spurts. I'll start a new story, but I wanted to let anyone who might be reading so it isn't too much of a shock. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

An Unholy Alliance #24 (6.3)

Frank didn’t move so much as a muscle. Hardly surprising considering I had my weight pressing down on his neck, and I had just threatened him with instant death. His cohorts certainly didn’t waste their opportunity to flee the scene—they scattered to the winds without a backward glance for their companion. So much for familial solidarity. Frank was far from silent, however, screaming something that was undoubtedly aimed at me. But his words were rendered unintelligible due to his unfortunate position. Not as though he had anything half-way intelligent to convey anyway, even at the best of times. Despite his previous bravado, his current fear was more than evident—he reeked of it. He’d also apparently lost control of his bowels.

My anger at this waste of space continued to grow. I visualized myself reaching down, grabbing his limp soiled body and drawing it up, up, up until I could better reach his neck. I saw myself tearing into his throat, imbibing his warm blood with great gusto. My fury was overriding my normal prudence, my canines enlarging at the prospect of fresh food, even though I wasn’t actually hungry.

A gentle but firm touch on my arm drew me back to reality.

“He’s not worth it.” Tyrone’s warm brown eyes held empathy, as well as a glint of amusement. Maybe even regret for what might have been, but I may have been overthinking that one. “Tempting, I’m sure. But much as I’d like to do so, I can’t treat him like that other one, alas. He’s family, even if he is an asshole.”

The realization that he meant last night’s dinner/this morning’s breakfast entrĂ©e hit me a moment later. As did the reality of what had come too close to happening right here and now.

I’d almost killed someone in anger, a course of action I normally abhorred. Bad enough that I managed to do it accidentally on occasion, but on purpose? I was suddenly grateful for Tyrone’s thoughtful intervention on my behalf, as well as his unexpectedly not-unwelcome presence. So much had changed in such a very short period of time, I honestly didn’t know what to think, or how to feel.

“I don’t know about you, but I could sure use a drink,” Tyrone interrupted my reverie.

Didn’t that sound like a great idea? But where? We were in the middle of nowhere.

“I know a little place in Cabool. We’re not that far from it now.”

I glanced around, but saw no sign of his vehicle. “Are you proposing we walk there?” That seemed unlikely. Well, I could do it easily, but I didn’t see him being up for such an expenditure of energy, although I had to admit he did possess a strength I wouldn’t have thought him capable of before. And then I remembered the car I’d heard but dismissed earlier. “Let me guess, you’re actually parked nearby?”

He favored me with a sheepish grin. “I am,” he admitted. “Just over the hill, in fact. I thought I could get the drop on them better if I didn’t announce my presence first.”

That only added more questions to my growing list. What in the world was going on here? And how had I become involved in it? A small moan from below reminded me I was still stepping on Tyrone’s cousin. I should probably remedy that. I moved my foot and he rolled over onto his back, gasping and sputtering, and looking thoroughly miserable. But at least he had nothing more to say, offensive or otherwise.

 “A drink, yes,” I acceded to Tyrone’s request. “Lead on, MacDuff.” All right, maybe that was a misquote, one that should actually be Lay on MacDuff.  But people had been usurping the line for years until it had taken on a life of its own—don’t blame me for doing the same.

“As you will, MacBeth,” Tyrone quipped.

I was favorably impressed that he was at least somewhat familiar with the Bard. That just went to show that he was different from these others.

Tyrone’s gaze flickered to his moaning cousin.  “Later, Frank. Try to be good, won’t you?”

Not waiting for a response, we quickly repaired to Tyrone’s vehicle. I couldn’t help but notice it was the same nondescript sedan he’d offered me a ride in earlier. “I see you haven’t upgraded to a different model,” I joked.

He laughed as he pulled the car back onto the road. “Not yet. And not here. I know too many people here. That could be a problem. Besides, there’s no rush. I’ll get to it sooner or later.”

Did that mean he lived near here? Fairly safe assumption to make. Maybe. I still didn’t have enough information to know for sure. But I could look up the town, anyway, so I pulled out my phone.

Smaller than Mason Springs, Cabool was a largely rural area possessed of a number of businesses of varying sizes as well as a school, police department, and library. Should I be worried that we might get caught driving around town in a stolen vehicle? Tyrone didn’t seem concerned, so I decided to follow his lead for now.

We ended up near the end of a small strip mall that contained a large grocery store, a gift shop, and a clothing consignment shop. There was a moderate amount of foot traffic for late afternoon. People stopping on their way home from work, perhaps, to pick up a few things. Tyrone parked near the other vehicles and we headed toward our destination. Hannibal’s Hideaway was spelled out in subdued neon lights on the window, along with stickers bearing the name of various types of beer that were no doubt available within.

Tyrone turned to me, grinning. “Like the name?”

What?

“Hannibal. It’s an inside joke. You know. Hannibal Lecter.”

“Who’s that?”

He rolled his eyes as he held open the front door. “Dude, you have so much to learn.”

Excuse me?

to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment