Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wednesday Briefs: The Sheriff #33 (9.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Roy seems to be feeling rather protective of Dustin. Why else would he come into the computer store when he was supposed to be watching from outside? Will his actions cause a problem? Find out in this week's chapter of The Sheriff. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they've been up to! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

The Sheriff #33 (9.2)

“What was that all about?” Jordan whispered angrily in Dustin’s ear. He’d looped an arm about Dustin’s waist and gripped him tightly, as if he thought Dustin might try to wriggle away.

Which he certainly would, if he could.

Still pumped over seeing Roy so unexpectedly, Dustin pushed off from Jordan and took a step back, putting a slight distance between them, but keeping out of Denver’s sight. He didn’t want to his cousin to come any closer to Jordan than he could help. Bad enough he was in Jordan’s sights, but Dustin was working on fixing that. “What do you mean? What was what all about?”

Jordan narrowed his eyes at Dustin. “Don’t try to fuck with me, boy. That would be a major mistake on your part.”

The desire to smash his fist into Jordan’s face was growing, but he held himself back, for Denver’s sake. “I’m not fucking with you. You’re just paranoid, dude.”

Jordan looked fit to be tied. He ran one hand through his hair, breathing heavily, a far cry from his usual calm self, before he managed to pull himself together. “You know what? Fuck you. Find your own way home. I’m  going.”

“Suit yourself.” Dustin shrugged. Could he be that lucky? Did Jordan just cut him loose?

Jordan’s next words brought him crashing back to reality.

“You get off tomorrow at midnight, right?”

Dustin nodded apprehensively.

“I’ll be here. We’re going to do this thing, and you’re going to do what I tell you, or else….” Jordan glanced in the direction of the front counter. Dustin knew what he meant, and he hated him for it.

“Yeah, I remember.” Dustin kept his voice as calm as possible. No need to alarm his cousin. With any luck, he’d get out of this without Denver having to know a thing.

Once Jordan stormed his way out of the store, Dustin started to pace up and down the aisle, not seeing the merchandise around him, thinking furiously. He had no doubt Jordan would bring the idiot twins along with him tomorrow, so that would be, what… three against two? Or did Roy intend to bring back-up of his own? Probably wouldn’t need it, though. He thought Lenny and Rusty were too cowardly to put up a fight once they were caught. And Jordan was all bluster and hot air. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to be cautious. Maybe he should ask Roy?

“Hey, what happened to your boyfriend?”

Dustin stopped pacing and glanced up. Denver stood  at the end of the aisle, and he was giving him a funny look. When Dustin glanced around, there was no sign of his customer. She must have gone.

“At least I assume that’s the guy you been seeing. I mean, you seemed pretty cozy, but I didn’t catch his name.”

“Jordan,” Dustin said automatically. “His name’s Jordan. And he’s not my boyfriend.”

“My bad.” Denver laughed. “Guess I just assumed, the way he was holding on to you there. So he’s not the guy?”

“Yeah, he is. Was. It’s complicated.” Dustin sighed.

Denver threw him a shrewd look. “You’re not in any trouble, right?

If you only knew.

“You know you can tell me, don’t you? I just want to help, honestly.”

“Yeah I know.” Dustin mustered the best smile he could under the circumstances. “And I do appreciate that, trust me. But I have everything under control, and I promise I’m not causing any trouble.”

“I didn’t mean that,” Denver began but Dustin cut him off.

“No, it’s okay, I do know what you mean, and you’re right, I’ve been an ass, but I’m turning things around, I swear.”

“I believe you. I’m in your corner, and so are Lee and Marshall. And Roy. Don’t be afraid to come to any of us at any time…”

“I promise.” Dustin relaxed at his cousin’s words. They’d had their moments, but on the whole, Denver was the best relative he had. Which was why he was going to fight to keep him safe.
The front door buzzed as another customer walked in.

“Hey, I’m gonna get out of your hair. I’ll catch you later.”

“Sure. Later, Dustin.” Denver turned to the newcomer as Dustin made his way past him and  out the door. He stood there for a moment, thinking over his options. Maybe he could hitch a ride back to the apartment? If push came to shove, he could always walk.

Just then, Roy’s truck pulled up in front of him. Dustin stared at Roy uncertainly. What was he doing?
“Get in,” Roy said. “It’s safe.”

Well, that settled that. Dustin climbed into the cab of the truck, and Roy quickly pulled away from the store.

to be continued

Now go visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them!




No comments:

Post a Comment