Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Wednesday Briefs: The Sheriff #23 (6.5)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Last week, Dustin was asked to help Jordan's friend Rusty with a little problem. Imagine Dustin's surprise when he found out it involved "breaking in" to someone's house! Things go from bad to worse this week. What will Dustin do? Find out in this week's chapter of The Sheriff. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

The Sheriff #23 (6.5)

Dustin felt sick to his stomach at the thought of what he’d so stupidly just done. Made himself an accomplice to a burglary, even if an unwitting one. Try explaining that to a judge. Everything was becoming all too clear to him now, especially what an idiot he’d been to believe someone like Jordan could be interested in someone like him. It hadn’t been him, it had been the computer store where he worked that had been the big attraction all along. If they’d run into each other anywhere else, Jordan would probably not have given Dustin the time of day. That’s what he got for thinking with his dick.

Had there been others before him? Was this a regular racket with these guys? No wonder Rusty and Lenny treated him like shit. They’d probably seen this scenario enacted before. And no wonder their employment seemed so sketchy. They were thieves, if not something worse.

Even as he thought this, he felt something in his spine stiffen. He wasn’t about to go along with helping these assclowns rob the very store where he worked. The store his cousin was kind enough to help him get a job at. Denver certainly didn’t deserve that. He’d been nothing but good to Dustin, gave him a chance when no one else would.  Gave him a place to live.

How could he betray the only family he had? He couldn’t.

Jordan let Rusty and Lenny out at their apartment building, then turned to Dustin. “Want to grab a bite to eat and go back to my place?”

Dustin didn’t think he could eat if he tried. Besides, he knew what else was included in that invitation, judging by what he’d said previously, and he honestly didn’t want to be with Jordan like that. Jordan might be sexy but he was poison. Dustin wasn’t sure he would ever want him again. But it didn’t seem very prudent to say so. Rusty had been carrying a weapon. It wouldn’t surprise him if Jordan did too. And he probably wasn’t afraid to use it.

“I’ve not feeling very well,” Dustin said, which wasn’t actually a lie. “Mind dropping me off instead? I’d rather not get sick in your car.”

“I’d rather you not get sick in it too,” Jordan said in a cold voice, devoid of any compassion for Dustin. He made no move to comfort him, or touch him in any way, for which Dustin was grateful, just drove. A few minutes later, they were in front of the building where he lived with Denver.
Dustin reached for the door handle, but froze at the sound of Jordan’s voice.

“I’ll pick you up in the morning,” Jordan said. “About ten. Make sure you’re ready and waiting for me.”

What the hell?

Dustin gave Jordan a confused look.

“We’re going to case that store of yours,” Jordan said. “I want to know everything about it, the sooner the better. I think that could turn out to be one of our better hauls.”

“I don’t think so.”

Dustin was surprised to realize those words had actually come out of his mouth. He had more backbone than he’d given himself credit for, at least when it came to Jordan.

Jordan’s smile was ice cold. He didn’t seem at all fazed by Dustin’s refusal. “I don’t think you understand. You’re my bitch, Dustin, and you’ll do what I tell you to do, for as long as I tell you to do it.”

“The hell I will!” Dustin blurted out. “What makes you think you can talk to me like that? Find another boyfriend. We’re through.”

Jordan threw his head back and began to laugh, a sound that Dustin found oddly disturbing. “Oh honey, you are naïve, if you think you’re my boyfriend.”  Calming down, he continued. “I will always be able to talk to you anyway I want. And you know why? Because if you don’t do as I say, your beloved cousin will pay the price. And you don’t even want to know what I can do to him, trust me. So be a good boy, get some sleep, and tomorrow be ready when I come for you. And furthermore, if I tell you I want to fuck you, then be prepared for that too. Assuming I even want to. Now go on. I’m done with you for tonight.”

Dustin stumbled out of the car in a daze and slammed the door shut behind him. He watched as Jordan peeled out of the lot. What the hell was he going to do now? He wasn’t about to help them break into the computer store, but at the same time, he wasn’t going to let them hurt Denver.

There seemed to be only one choice left. He had to hide. Get the hell out of Tucker Falls until he figured out something more permanent. But where? He didn’t know anyone.


He’d worry about that later. Right now, he needed to grab his clothes, get in his car and drive… and hope for the best.

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment