Saturday, August 13, 2011

Flash Fiction can be a gateway

Yes, it's true, flash fiction can be a gateway. Not like a drug, but like a new door, a portal to a new exciting story, told 1k at a time. It all began for me when Ryssa Edwards suggested that the authors of Silver Publishing write a weekly flash fiction, to be posted every Wednesday at their blogs. It seemed an easy enough idea at the time. Who knew it would grow into first one, now a second series which I plan to nourish into novella or novels?

I'll never know sometimes where my inspiration is drawn from. The first prompt we received was He's got to behave. From that sprang Yes He's my Ex, about Tim's ex-boyfriend Sonny who sometimes forgets he's an ex. Every week, we followed their exploits which went from Tim's resentment at Sonny's cavalier treatment to his concern over Sonny's sudden disappearance. And then the road got really bumpy! I removed it from the flash fiction site, but I'm still working on it, and expect it to end around 50k, at which point I will sub it. So, while we're talking about Sonny and Tim, I want to show you the visual inspirations again. I never get tired of looking at these guys.

Here's Tim:










Here's Sonny:













Then I stated a second story, Lust Never Sleeps, about Darryl and Sawyer, which is turning out to be tons of fun too, and almost steampunkish! Who knew it would be like this when I started? Back then I had two guys in a bar, and a strange question: How's your French accent. It's gone way past that now, and the journey has barely begun. So now let me show you my inspiration for these two guys.

Darryl:









Sawyer:

















Totally hot, right?  Oh, if anyone has a suggestion for Darryl's last name, feel free to let me know. I've totally forgotten to give him one yet.



It's only a few episodes in - seven, to be exact - but I think I'll stop posting this one soon too and maybe start another one. I'll finish LNS and sub it too.

On Sundays, Sui Lynn and I have our Sci Fi Sunday. We're posting excerpts from our joint venture, Reality Check, which while not flash fiction is similar, but without the length constraints.

As you can no doubt tell, I live to write. It's what I do, it's what I love. I hope that people enjoy what I do as much as I enjoy doing it. Flash fiction - gotta love it. It's brought me these guys, and who knows what the future holds in store!

Do you enjoy these flash fictions? Have any ideas for any series, or any prompts? Something you'd like to see? I'd love to hear from you!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment