Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hawaii 5-0, Sweet Genius and diverse sundries

The second season of Hawaii 5-0 began with a real bang! **********potential spoilers********* If you'll  recall from the end of the first season, the members were in quite a pickle. Steve McGarrett was framed and arrested for the governor's murder, which was actually carried out by arch enemy Wo Fat. Danno's ex-wife informed him she was pregnant, and moved back to New Jersey. Chin was reinstated on HPD, with a higher rank, cleared of the charges against him. And Kono is the subject of an IA investigation regarding her part in the little scheme which garnered them the money to buy Chin's life.

Season 2 begins there, with Steve in prison, and Danno learning the truth about Rachel and her plans, and with everyone determined to prove Steve innocent and get the group back together again. It seems a tall order, right? But not for these people! I won't tell you exactly what happens, as that is too much spoilage, but it's certainly exciting, and mostly plausible, and a great start to the new season.

One thing that I'm particularly happy about is seeing more of Masi Oka's character. He plays the coroner, and am I allowed to squeal even a little bit because his name is Max?  I think so, so I will!  Squeeeeeee! I always liked him as Hiro on Heroes. He acquits himself very well here as the slightly nerdish but big-hearted Max. He gets to play a pivotal role in the season opener. I hope to see a lot more of him this year. As for villain Wo Fat, it's hard not to think of Kitchen Stadium when I see him as he plays the Chairman's nephew on Iron Chef America. Whereas his "uncle" had a signature pepper eating move, the nephew is more into apples! Seeing him on Hawaii 5-0 reminds me that he is an actor, and that there is no real Chairman of Kitchen Stadium. I still don't like Iron Chef America near as much as Iron Chef Japan, but I've come to accept it more. Alton Brown certainly helps with that. He is personable and interesting to listen to. I got caught up in one of his shows the other day, which I hadn't intended to do, and learned a lot about cupcakes. It was really fasciating stuff.

Last night was the season finale of Hell's Kitchen, which I'll probably watch tomorrow morning and talk about Thursday. Tonight is the last of the regular Chopped Champions. This night's winner will join the other three and next should should be the end of that. It's only five shows long. Top Chef Texas should be starting soon, I believe, but I'm not sure. All I've seen is a brief promo featuring Padma, so she'll be returning.

We've watched all of the Sandwich King episodes so far, and I have to say I'm really enjoying them. Jeff Mauro, winner of Network Food Star, is personable and knowledgeable, and he makes damn good looking sandwiches. Last one we watched was a chicken Vesuvio, and a Polish sausage sandwich. I love how he goes to places in Chicago and visits with the restauranteurs and we get to see behind the scenes of the dishes he is recreating. If he has a few pauses while he searches for words, it's understandable - he's still new at this. I think he's off to a great start, though, and I hope to see him develop himself, and perhaps branch out beyond sandwiches.

A new show begins Thursday night and I am already intrigued by the promos and stoked to see it. In fact, I was mesmerized by the very first one - caught up in the eyes of the host. Lovely eyes they are, too. His name is Ron Ben-Israel and the show is Sweet Genius, a sweeter version of Chopped. Although this is the first I heard of him, apparently he is well known for his beautiful wedding cakes, which are highly sought after. Alas, as I learned after doing some investigating, he is also gay. Story of my life, right? But hey, guys, he's single and looking! He has a very lovely accent, very intriguing. I am so looking forward to this show!


Vampire Diaries began season 3 but I'll save my thoughts on that for later. Tomorrow is another Flash Fiction day, I hope to have two more tales for your delectation!

Comments? Questions? Anything at all? Don't hesitate to speak up, I'd love to hear from you!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment