Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Always Darkest Just before the Dawn

I almost decided not to blog today because frankly I wasn't in a very good place. Last night I received a rejection on a Christmas story I subbed to my publisher. Not because it wasn't good, but because it was published last year with Wicked Nights, and it was substantially the same story as it was then. Naturally. I made a few changes, nothing drastic. I feel like I've been penalized for something that was beyond my control - Wicked Night going from a publisher to a coop, and then removing all my stories from the site, leaving them in limbo. I got the rights back, but apparently that's not good enough. Needless to say I was devastated. Not only aren't I being paid for whatever I sold through WN this year (the publisher has yet to pay me for 1st or 2nd quarters) but now I can't sell it to someone else and make some income from it? Where's the justice?

Add to that a lawn mower that won't work, slow plumbing, and other maintenance issues, no work, and bill collectors who offer to make my life easier for $500 a month - well, I was not very happy.

But I spent some time thinking, and praying, and talking to my good friend/co-author/lil sis SL Danielson, and I managed to weather that storm. I'm feeling better, in fact I wrote some more on our ongoing second novel in a series we're doing (hope to get the first one accepted soon).

It's always darkest just before the dawn. How true that is. Things could be worse - also true. I believe in myself - as a writer and as a person. I will more than survive, I will thrive.

There is nothing so difficult that we cannot get past it, eliminate it, overcome it, and move on. Everything changes, nothing is static. I sent out a sub to an agent regarding Revelations, I hope to hear from her. I also subbed it to Tor - hearing from them would be awesome. I believe it will be published someday.

It's not easy to become a self-sufficient writer, especially in this economy, and especially when it seems like there are too many writers out there, and not enough readers. But I know in my heart that it's what I was meant to do. Writing is my destiny. And I'm going to keep at it until I can't write any more - hopefully until the day I die.

I have a lot of stories to tell, and I hope to tell them all, and then some. I will never give up, never surrender. I hope you all stick with me for the ride!

Tomorrow, a special Silver Flash - I have two stories to share! Come back and read them!

Until next time, take care!

Love and hugs to all of you!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment