Sunday, February 10, 2013

Guest Blogger Marion Sipe

Good morning and welcome! It's rainy, rainy day in St. Louis so why don't we welcome my guest blogger/cover artist Marion Sipe, whose amazing talent wrought the cover for Revelations, make a fire and get cozy while Marion answers my infamous Rick Reed questions? Then maybe she'll talk about herself as a cover artist!








The Questions
1)      You’re marooned on a small island with one person and one item of your choice—who is that person and what item do you have?

Well, that would have to be the fiancĂ© and a mega-case of duct tape, because you can do anything with that stuff!  Of course, I think we’d have to take our time figuring out how to make a boat out of it.  After all, you can’t let a deserted island go to waste and a mega-case of duct tape go to waste!











2)      Which musical would you say best exemplifies your life – and which character in that musical are you?

Oh, dear… Hmm.  I’m not sure.  I’m not that well versed in musicals, and generally I take things in bits and pieces.  Let’s go with Belle from Beauty and the Beast.  I know!  It’s sacrilege!  But  what bookworm doesn’t love a girl who reacts that way to a library?

3)      Take these three words and give me a 100 word or less scenario using them:  cap, rhetorical, smoked

Whodunnit.  A man is found murdered wearing a baseball cap for a team he owned and recently sold.  It was put on him by someone who was there after he was dead because the head wound he died from is beneath it.  There’s a partially burned slip of paper near the body and the smell of smoke in the air, but the only readable word is “rhetorical?”

4)      You’ve just been let loose in the world of fiction, with permission to do anyone you want. Who do you fuck first and why?

Sherlock Holmes.  No question.  Because smart is really sexy.  Of course, he’s also very, very moody, so I probably wouldn’t stick around long.  But that would be my first stop!  Of course, then I’d hope for a long layover (*ahem*) in the Tardis.  *G*

   5)   What is your idea of how to spend romantic time with your significant other?

A long night out, a lovely brunch in the Quarter, and then a lazy day in bed.  Can’t go wrong there.

   6)    When you start a new story, do you begin with a character, or a plot?

That’s a tough one.  I always have a general idea of both before I start writing.  I know what the setup is going to be (the beginning and the ending) and I have a general idea of who I’ll be writing about.  For me, the two are really closely linked.  A given character, dealing with a given scenario is the story.  I may come up with an idea that’s just plot or just a character sketch, but before I start writing I know both.

7)      If they were to make the story of your life into a movie, who should play you?

Maggie Smith.  That woman rocks like a rockin’ thing.  She’s always feisty and awesome.  I hope to live up to that standard.  *G*














8)      Who’s your favorite horror villain and why?

Candyman.  Because Tony Todd is awesome, sexy and (in that role) utterly, utterly terrifying.

   9)    Do you have an historical crush and if so, who is it?

I can’t think of one, actually.  There are a number of historical figures I think it would be fantastic to meet, but I’d need to get to know them before I could develop a crush.  Cleopatra seems pretty freakin’ awesome, but so do Oscar Wilde, Albert Einstein, Vivienne Leigh, Marilyn Monroe, Nikola Tesla, Joan of Arc… Oh, dear, I could go on for while here…

10)   Is there a story that you’d like to tell but you think the world isn’t ready to receive it?

Honestly, I don’t give a damn.  *G*  I just write my stories and if the world isn’t ready for them that isn’t my problem.  They sell or they don’t.  I can’t get caught up in worrying how people react or I’d never write anything.


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, Marion?

Bio:
Marion Sipe is a graphic artist, writer and poet.  She’s been on both sides of the cover, and knows what it’s like to be putting out a book.  She loves composition and color, alliteration and syntax, and is also somewhat obsessively in love with worldbuilding.  She works with a various publishing companies and private clients, creating cover art and promotional artwork for some of the best books around.  She lives in New Orleans with her handsome prince and pack of vicious guard cats.  Okay… sleepy guard cats.

Links: 

Website: http://marionsipe.blogspot.com/
Video Portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsB8r5kFEQ4


See how talented she is? She's having a sale at her site, so take advantage of it and check it out. While we're at it, let's take another peek at her work!



And because I love it so much, I'm going to show off the cover of Revelations again!


Thanks for stopping by, Marion! You are an amazing cover artist! I hope to work with you again some day! And thanks for your recommendation of Candyman. I'm definitely going to check that out!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, ladies. :) Love your cover, Julie. Marion rocks!

    ReplyDelete