Friday, February 8, 2013

Celebration time - Revelations is here!


This day has long been waited for, and anxiously, by a number of people, including myself and my friends and loyal readers.And now it's here! Revelations is a happening thing! Today is release day and it's time to party. Like it's 1999 or 1699 or even 99 BC!










Revelations is available here!

This book has been more than forty years in the making. No I didn't spend that long writing it. It took a great deal of thought. I know I've told this story on other blogs, but I'm going to tell it here, so make yourselves at home!


The idea was born many years ago. Over forty, actually. When I was a teenager. Back then, it didn’t have a name, and it had no real shape. But I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to tell the story of Judas Iscariot. The trouble was I didn’t know how.

What drew me to Judas, is probably what you’re asking yourself, and that’s a valid question. Ask anyone else who Judas is and you’ll get answers that are probably all variations on a theme of betrayal. I’m not sure exactly when I began to question that, but I do know that when I saw Jesus Christ Superstar performed live back in 1971 (or thereabouts), I had an epiphany regarding him. I saw him, not as the bad guy as often portrayed, but someone who not only believed in Jesus but was willing to do what he needed him to do. For without Judas’ “betrayal” of Jesus, the story would not have worked out the way it did. It needed to happen that way. And if you read the Gospel of Judas, he was the only apostle who trusted Jesus enough to do that for him. Gives one food for thought, doesn’t it?

Very interesting, but where’s the story, I wondered. Was I going to take an historical perspective, research the man and his life? Easier said than done, especially back then. We had no Internet. We didn’t even have computers. Research was all done through books. Libraries had card catalogs, a far cry from today when you can log onto your library website and browse their selection, then request what you want. So I looked and I found bupkus (nothing). I had the Bible, of course, but it tends to be limited on information, as well as a bit biased.

So nothing was written, and I let it go, as my thoughts formulated in the back of my head. In the meantime, I was reading, watching… and learning. King of Kings was my first Biblical movie, and I loved it. Jeffrey Hunter’s portrayal of Jesus is very moving, and I was very enamored of the film. Jesus Christ Superstar – I think I know all the words, I’ve listened so many times. I liked the stage version, but the first film not so much.







Besides watching these things and others, I read. Christopher Moore’s Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal. What a fabulous book! I loved it! So much I bought the special edition. And I read The Gospel of Judas! Forty years ago I’d never heard of such a thing. Of course I read the DaVinci Code, and watched the movie. And everything began to percolate inside my head…

Then one day it happened. Judas spoke to me, for the first time. And I simply began to write it down, not knowing what he might say, or where his story might lead. It turned out to be quite the story and took me on quite the journey, and led to places that I didn’t expect it to. If he’d have spoken forty years ago, I would not have been ready to receive his message. But my life up until the moment that I first heard him speak prepared me. And the result is Revelations.

The original title was Kyrie Eleison, a tribute to the Mister Mr. song, Kyrie. Kyrie eleison means Christ, have mercy on us. But then fellow author Marie Sexton, who was reading Kyrie for me at the time, suggested a simpler title. A better title. Revelations. So Revelations it became.

I know there are people who will not like Revelations, and by extension, me. People who will not see the message it carries, only that it does not follow what they believe. But ultimately, no matter what you believe, Revelations is a story of love. Love is the message, and love is something that binds us all together.

Revelations is love.

I'd like to celebrate Revelations release with you. Oh, I almost forgot! I have a book trailer:  




I hope you like it! I'd like to giveaway a copy of Revelations to someone! All I ask is that you comment, and tell me what you think about the book, or anything related to Revelations. And don't forget your email address!

Also, as part of my celebration, I'm guesting at two blogs:  Chris T. Kat and Marie Sexton. Stop by and say hello!

I'll announce the winner in a week. And I haven't forgotten the Backlist Bloghop. I'll be announcing that soon too!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

9 comments:

  1. Awesome trailer. I can't wait to read the book. Good luck, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous trailer, fabulous cover, fabulous story, how can you lose. Gird your loins for the backlash and I'm here watching your back if you need me. The very best of luck hun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nephy! I'm thinking the backlash won't be immediate lol

      Delete
  3. HI Julie, finally, it's out. Yes, some readers are not going to like it. I had to laugh, excuse me, but when you said 40 years to write it, the thought went through my head, 'wasn't that the same amount of time Moses led his people through the desert?' Okay, so I'm weird.

    I think it took courage to write this book, and you must travel your own road.

    So, good luck with the sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that might be how long they wandered in the desert, Lorrie, I forget. See what happens when men don't want to stop and ask for directions? lol

      At least the actual writing didn't take 40 years!

      Thank you so much, Lorrie!

      Delete
  4. I remember being knocked out by Brendan Kennelly's poetry book THE BOOK OF JUDAS in college...it was the first I could think of that asked the whole "where would we be without Judas?" question. After nine years of Catholic school, the whole concept is very compelling!

    vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete