Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things happen for a reason

Today I ended my first temp job. I was there for over two months, from June 19th, until today. Now, I could be angry and/or upset, curse Fate and wail and moan about what will happen us now?

But I would rather not, because face it, that's counter productive. I have a philosophy - everything happens for a reason. So looking back at my time at Iron Mountain, what did I gain and/or learn? First, I made money, enough to get back on track with my bills, and have a little fun now and then too. But more importantly, I made some friends. We were a great team, the supervisor told us so - she was sorry to see us go. It's possible some of us can come back to the data center and work (I couldn't do that one, it involved climbing up and down ladders all the time, and it was too physical), and there might be openings in Imaging, which I opted for, although the pay is $1.50 less an hour. But that's still more than zero.  Also, working at Iron Mountain toughened me. The files were heavy and at first I thought I'd die unloading the carts, shelf by shelf, in order to key them. Plus we had to push these wooden carts filled with files back and forth from the data center. But I did it, and I think I got muscles out of it and stamina.

So all in all, it was a positive experience, we all exchanged information and promised to keep in touch. I'm glad I worked there. Maybe I'll end up back there again some day, but for now it's time to move on.

When things happen you didn't plan on, it's easy to get upset and blame everything from bad luck to bad karma to every person you know. But rather than do that, look at what you've gained, and decide where  you want to be, and what your next move will be. It's not always easy to see, but you won't see it if you aren't looking for it.

I would rather be optimistic than depressed and yes, I think you can control that, if you try. I'm not saying I never get down, or upset, or mad, or any of those basic human emotions. But on the whole, I have to say I'm a happy person.

So, I'll leave you with the lyrics of a song that sums it up rather well.

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground   
There's a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got hot apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There's a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram scram
He kept buttin' that dam

'Cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had hot apple pie in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' bad
'Stead of feelin sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems are just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop

You might remember that from Laverne and Shirley. I sure do.

So for now, I'll be around!  Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment