Saturday, August 25, 2012

Poetry and me...

Once upon a time, I used to write poetry, and I'd mail it off to different magazines. And sometimes it would get published. This was a very long time ago, before computers, before e-magazines, and definitely before it became easier to be published. There was no money involved, just a copy or two of the magazine you were published in. I generally don't write poetry any more, preferring prose. But I thought I'd share some of my poems with you at odd times, like today.  I had vampire poems and non-vampire poems (yes, I'm a sucker for a bloodsucker lol)  This first one I'm going to share with you is entitled Amid the Ruin. Enjoy!


Amid the Ruin
                by Julie Lynn Hayes © 1996

Amid the ruin of silken sheets,    
Rumpled in the rampage of a lovers'
Tug of war,
Beneath the blood-smeared bedclothes,
Tangled in the tantrums of a
Passion play,
She lies in saintly beauty,
Mona Lisa-smile upon stained lips,
Lips which wear the color of her lover's blood.
He loved her well,
Then freed her soul from Hell
To face Eternity, away from nighttime joys
And carnal pleasures reserved
For those who cannot bear the light of day.
A single rose lies upon her breast
Above a simple wooden stake,
Her instrument of release,
As love and peace rule the night supreme
Amid the ruin of silken sheets.


No comments:

Post a Comment