Sunday, August 19, 2012

Playing catch up

I apologize for my laxness in keeping up with my blog. I got a temp job in June, full time, and it severely constricted my time to do other things, including editing, writing, and blogging. But I promise to do better in the future, as much as possible. I'm doing data entry, and while the work can be strenuous at times - we have to wrestle with heavy files and push often heavy (and stubborn) wooden carts around, I like my co-workers, and I'm grateful to have this job.

A little update on my writing. I am currently writing the fifth book in my gay YA series, Southern Comfort - well, co-authoring. The first three books have been released, but the fourth is still in edits, what I like to refer to as the edits from Hell. I requested the first editor be removed after his insensitive remarks about "guys that date trannies" and knowing people "of that species", not to mention he tried to tell us we were wrong for only putting one space after periods instead of two. The book should have been released August 4th, it's in the hands of some other editor, and I won't even go there because the situation is past ridiculous. Thank God the fifth book does not have to be subbed there.

Other than that, I wrote my first horror story, and Muse it Up accepted it, for which I am delighted to no end. I don't have a contract or release date yet, but I'll keep you posted. It's called Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, and it's something different for me in that it is not a m/m story. I think it's good to be diverse. I don't want people to think I'm a one trick pony.

WIPs - I'm working on a story for a winter/holiday anthology for a group I belong to, It's Raining Men. That will be done by September 1st. I also have two books that I'm working on. When Will I See You Again is a m/m paranormal that I am almost 48 into. The main characters are Raoul Marchand and Alexx Jameson, and it takes place in the seaside town of Crescent Bay. Raoul is a werewolf, part of the strongest families around. He's a cynical, pleasure-seeking man, who has been shaped by tragedy in his life. Alexx  works in the mailroom of the Crescent Bay Chronicle, and yearns to be a crime reporter. When he's given his chance to write a story, although it isn't quite what he wanted, he finds himself at Raoul's nightclub, Charisma, and that is where they meet.

I'm also writing my first PI novel, which will be the first in a series about the main character, Holden Heidegger. The first book is called Personal Business, and it's what happens when your past catches up with you unexpectedly.

I watched the season premiere of Grimm this morning. As you'll recall from the end of season one, Juliette is in a coma, thanks to Adalind, who was a bit pissed after Nick drained her of her powers and became vengeful. No one knows where she is now, including her mother, the hexen beast. Also, Nick came face to face with the woman who was stalking him and lo and behold discovered it was his thought-to-be-dead mother. Nimura, who tried to kill Nick for the coins, was taken into police custody. Monroe and Rosalee work to concoct a serum to combat what was given to Juliette, racing against time. Funny thing is, someone else is shopping for those same ingredients. James Frain appears as a guest star, and things are really getting interesting. I look forward to seeing more of this.

 
The Glades just ended its third season, and it was an excellent one, what with Jim and Callie's relationship being tested with her being in Atlanta to work and study for her boards, and him having his methods called into question by a state investigator, Jennifer, who showed too much interest in Jim for my liking. There were a lot of interesting cases, and this season was strong in all the right places, including plot, acting, character development.  *****SPOILER ALERT****  I have to say that I was on edge for the last episode, as the previews made it seem that Jim was going to leave Callie, unable to take the current situation, but I was thrilled to be wrong, and I admit I cried over what did happen. I can't wait to see season 4.

Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef are both drawing to a close. Frankly, this season of Hell's Kitchen isn't up to snuff in my opinion. I really don't care much for any of the chefs and can't imagine making any of them head chef in one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants. That being said, I think the two I do like the most are Christina and Barbie, and thank God Robyn finally got cut. In Master Chef, last new episode, David Martinez got cut. I was sad, even though I didn't expect him to make it to the end. But the sadness was ameliorated when Graham told David that when he went back to Chicago there would be a job waiting for him there in one of his restaurants. I think that was the best possible outcome for him, and one that he very much wanted. Of the remaining chefs, I am rooting for Monti and Christine, and I hope Frank gets eliminated soon. I think he's a major ass.

On Top Chef Masters, the two gay partners were reunited when the second one was eliminated. This season isn't my favorite, I have to say, but there are some interesting chefs on it. I like Takashi and Patricia the best, and hope they do well.

Hell on Wheels began its new season, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll get back to you on that. The new season of Flipping Out starts September 3rd and Once Upon a Time September 30th.  I think October for The Walking Dead. It remains to be seen how well I'll keep up with these shows, but I'm going to try. We're taping a BBC show tonight, Copper. I'll let you know about that too.

That's about it for now. Thanks for bearing with me! Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie


2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! Sounds like you have been a very busy woman. Congrats on the job and thanks for the update. I've been wondering when the fourth book of the Southern Comfort series would be out. At least now I know why there's been a delay. Sorry to hear about that. I have really enjoyed reading this series. I was lucky enough to win a copy of the first book and I've been totally hooked since then. I see where you are working on the fifth installment. How many are planned?

    Can't wait to read those on your WIP list. They all sound really good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      The fifth book will be the last in the Southern Comfort series, per se, after that we are splitting our characters and doing spinoff series. I'm taking Blake and Clay and Violet, but I can't give details now, as that would be spoiling lol

      I'm curious to know what people think of the idea of the characters splitting off, I'd love to hear your reaction!

      Thanks for stopping by, and for the comment on my WIPs. I just posted an excerpt from Personal Business at Love Romances Cafe, where the authors of IRM are visiting. I'll keep you updated on their progress! :)

      Delete